Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Used Value of 912 ULS?

Default Used Value of 912 ULS?

What should you expect to pay for a used (currently running in an airframe)? Or, what should you expect to get if you are selling the same? What is the realistic market?

Reason is: I'm considering a new engine to replace my 1600 hour+ 912ULS (currently flying & running well. I recently have seen a Barnstormer ad asking over $10k for a 1500 hour ULS and another EBay listing asking $21K for a 37 hour TT ULS. Both of these examples seem way over-priced since a brand new one is $18,500+.

In the recent Rotax course I took it was pointed out there are very few engines being overhauled. Most operators buy new and improved engines.

Opinions or info anyone?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Vixen N24V
    912 ULS, Ivo

Default Re: Used Value of 912 ULS?

I paid $13,700 for a 912 ULS with 36 TTE in 2011. If I were to do it again, I would buy new.

I took time remaining before TBO divided it by the cost of a new 912 UL and that is what I pay the plane per hour when I fly it, over and above fuel and maintenance

using the same way of thinking,,if your looking at a used engine ,..remaining time before TBO ...
    example..the new engines are listing 2000 hr tbo,..it has 500 hrs on it,.. if you can get it for less then what the math tells you

just tossing numbers out there..$20 k new divided by 2000 = $10 hr flight cost,..500 hrs on it $5K off new cost,..f you can get it for less ..its a good deal

let me ad this is providing the owner has met all SB's and has used a good maintenance program,..any SB's not met start subtracting SB cost plus 5%
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 10-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I did the same thing on my 582..

example new cost 6800 divided by TBO ( not decarb time)
    6800 / 350 around $25 hr flight cost over and above fuel and maintenance gets you a new motor come TBO time
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

When I upgraded from the 582 I got a 80 hp 912 for around $7500 minus the exhaust. It came off of another model 4 that was upgrading to a 100hp so I got the motor mount with it also (had a crack, got it welded, no big deal.). 600+ hours when I bought it. Closing in on 1000 now with no problems. My barnstormers experience was a really good one.
    JimS

The short answer to 912 values is usually just what no one wants to hear:

They are what they are worth to you, either in sale or purchase.

I have seen low time 912UL sell as low as $4500. I've also seen people spend $20k on a ULS and be happy as a clam. What ever makes you happy.

Maybe use a calculation like:

Core value = $3500 (?)
    New Value = $18,500 (?)
    Difference = $14,500

New TBO = 2000 hours
    $14,500 / 2000 = $7.25/hour

1500 TT engine = $18,500-10,875 = $7,625 for perfect running condition with complete records.

Maybe not a perfect pricing method, but it could lead to a fair jumping off point.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I agree nearly 100% with Av8r3400 with the exception of I make a deduction of at least 10% up to 20% just because the engine is not NEW. Someone bought it and unless you know exactly what has been done with that particular engine or how it was run/maintained it is a USED engine. I have purchased too many projects in my life that have few or little time on them and they almost always cost more than I could have purchased new.
    Just like a new car, you buy it, drive it off the lot and its value has dropped. Therefore to me, a newly purchased engine that was bought by someone and not installed is worth 80% +/- what a new one would cost me. I will spend the additional and buy new with all its associated warrantees etc. Just me, but I have learned the hard way. I would be hard pressed to pay much more than the listed core value for a 1600TT engine.

I agree. The engine I have is running well and had what was called a top overhaul within the last 50 hours or so but I am still leaning to a new, latest model engine with no hours, especially since I tend to hang onto my stuff for many more years than most guys. (Just ask my wife). The engine I have I will probably sell or trade to one of the engine rebuilders I have located that re-builds these little engines.

Skot