Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 42 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

I thought I would put in one picture of the bleed through I got where the 3M tape crossed the pinked edges. This is one of the worst ones, pretty minimal IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Default Colour at last!

I have not had much to post last week as it is not all that interesting to post about white... and more white! But at last I have some colour! Thanks for the advice offered from others re types of masking tape and techniques. I am getting the hang of it but its not perfect by any means. A few photos below - you will see that I got 3mm and 6mm fine line tape - the 3mm is the only real choice for the curves - even the 6mm puckers up on the corners. And plenty of craft paper! As per most of the other jobs, I guess I will just get ok at it by the time it is finished!
    But is fun!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Nice looking. I like the way you have left a space between the yellow and black. Sets it off nicely.
    Lou
    KitFox II

It has never failed to amaze me, how much better a plane flies if it is painted at least partly yellow.

Looking good mate, still keen to call in for a look, will try this side of Chrissy
    Matty

We got the HS and Elevator out of spray booth today - pretty happy with it but the pics below are purposefully at 4m! Up close there is a bit of overspray here and there but nothing that cant be fixed once everything has dried off! First coat of yellow on the fuselage today also, but looks like being pretty hot tomorrow so maybe a day off from painting!

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Thanks Matty, would be good to see you and have you cast your eye over it. I will be away next week in Perth for work and will be sailing up in Langkawi from the 1-11th Dec. We have the Gathering of the Moths on the weekend of the 22/23rd which is always ... well, interesting!

cheers and thanks for the encouragement!
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

That is looking really nice mate! I like your paint scheme.

I think I am done painting for the winter. We are at -10 degrees C this morning and have snow in the forecast for tomorrow. No problem though, I will keep on working on the final assembly items. I have been busy planning my panel layout and electrical system. I might be able to cut out my panel on the milling machine where I work this weekend.

I got a call from Catto Props yesterday that my prop is going into production and should be done by the end of the year! It will be able go right on the engine at that point.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I've been watching. The color looks very nice. I like the combination.

The picture of the masking tapes caught my eye. A thought on the Fine Line. In my experience that tape is pretty much named for its intended purpose - Fine Lines - as in straight. For curves, there are vinyl tapes in similar dimensions - 1/16" to about half inch that will bend around tight curves very nicely. I use the eighth inch and 3/8" mostly. To use the vinyl tapes for long straight runs is nearly impossible - like the masked white between the yellow and black on the elevator. I will use the Fine Line for the straights and then use the vinyl around the curves. Tricky at the junctions, but doable.

I've been helping a neighbor replace the "glass" on his Bonanza. He masks around the plexiglass before assembling to avoid sealant getting on the surface of the glass. He uses the 3/8" vinyl and can make it around about a 2" radius curve.

3/8" Fine Line and 1/8" Vinyl
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Looks like we have opposite problems Phil - too cold there and too hot here! I too have started fiddling with panel. I need to slow up and do a lot of learning and planning for the electrical system though - but that is enjoyable too. Sounds like you have a good sequence planned though to ensure a productive hibernation!

Thanks for the info in the tapes Lowell - I will go and check out the paint shops at our nearest large town and see if I can get some of the vinyl tape. I found it difficult to find the fine line and then, only in the narrow type. I might have to go on the web and order from there. I would like to try the wider vinyl so thanks for the info.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ