Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Another Yellow Kitfox is being born. Judd at the factory commented to me something to the effect, that he thought regardless of what color he put in the spray gun it would come out yellow. They do look good in yellow.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul, that is funny! For me it is really a matter of 'be seen'. I would have done the whole thing yellow but Gayle, with a more aesthetic eye, wanted more the yellow and white with black stripe look! Anyway, we don't want to look just like those boring, monotone cubs now ,do we!?
    cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

notice the yellow happy face . The blue is not as visible. I really like the factory yellow paint and the paint scheme, it can definitely be spotted.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 11-03-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

A perfect day for painting - 75 F max , clear skies and low humidity. Today I got two coats on the first wing. I enlisted the help of Noel (103yo next month!). A very light sanding with 400grit after one coat. Very happy with the finish but think one more coat will really finish it nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I'm jealous Ross! Our goal is to cover over Christmas so hopefully that comes to fruition. Looking good and keep up the momentum!

Hi Josh. Good to hear from you. How goes the engine? Sounds like you got a good buy there. And you seem to be making progress on a lot of other stuff too. I am going hard at the painting now before the heat stops me - then I can muddle along with the panel and electrical system - engine will be last on the list. Look forward to more 'Esser' posts of progress!
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

We've puttered around on small stuff that takes a long time but I haven't posted pictures. Been a couple weeks before we had progress as Daniel went to a Sporty's electrical course and then a polyfibre course.

Look for new posts soon! I am expecting the firewall forward kit today and I am sure you will see lots of pictures soon!

Todays progress saw the first of the wings come out of the spray booth after three good coats or white. Two coats look ok but I could see the difference with the third and am happy with the finish.

Then did the first coat on the second wing. So what am I learning? Nothing that old hands at painting already know! But a routine to keep everything clean is essential. I use MEK to clean equipment as I have a heap of it. I also watch the temps closely and switch to the 8500 reducer if the temp go over 75F. I also go a little on the higher side of 4:1 mix for spraying - seems to give me a good consistency that flows well. And I only use a cheap Wagner Spray unit - perhaps ignorance is bliss, but the result looks ok to me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rosslr; 11-04-2014 at 01:37 AM.
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

You and Noel did an excellent Job! It takes excellent paint prep to result in great paint job.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

It's looking really good Ross. I like the yellow, that was my second choice after red/white. I picked colors for visibility too.

Do you have a drawing of your paint scheme?

I just added some more photos to my album. I was able to paint the red trim on my tail feathers today. Tomorrow I will get a shipment of more paint so I can finish my wings if the weather doesn't get to cold first.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016