Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 35 of 87 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Today we started covering the top of the fuselage. First we needed to plumb the static tube system -a very easy job using the Avery system.
    The covering of the top proved to be a tricky. I read all the posts and tried using the 'Scott method' - thanks Scott for the pics and the notes on the three step system - but we gave up and went for the two part method. Gayle has taken over this job while I prep and spray the tail feathers with the poly spray.

We are getting there ..... albeit slowly!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your static systems looks very interesting. What systems are you using that requires a double static port, is this for a glass panel?

HI Jim. This is pretty standard fitting for the static ports so the system takes an average of the static pressure from each side of the plane - for example when sideslipping. There is another string of discussions that report that many Kitfox owners just access the static pressure from behind the panel as the Kitfox is not exactly airtight! I put them in because they are not expensive nor difficult to install at this stage of the build and then I have options!

The Avery kit is very good with clear instructions.

I have purchased MGL Xtreme instuments (and V6 radio).

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

I put two static ports in my plane too for the same reason Ross mentioned. I also read that some have had their ports come loose so I put a backup piece of fabric on the inside of the port with PolyTak.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I also put in the avary kit. Mine is for steam gauges. About $85.

Thanks for the tip about the fabric patch on the inside Phil - sounds sensible and as I am about to close over the top it is very timely!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Good day today - Gayle worked on the top of the fuselage and I did some Poly spraying. Many visitors being a Saturday and the gliders are out in force with the first of the warm weather after winter. First, after advice from Phil, I put a patch on the inside over the static pert inlet plates - just for reinforcement. We are very happy that the top section along the razorback all heat shrunk into place! Isn't that magic?! So, now it is just the vertical stab now and tapping and the covering is done and dusted! I completed the third coat on the tail feathers after sanding the second coat. Also got one coat on one of the wings - but got some lifting of the ears on the pinked tapes so I have a bit of work tomorrow to get them bedded down again.

Apart from that, a pleasing days progress.

Cheers

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    Oz

Default 3 seater SS7

Gayle thinks that there is potential for a 3rd seat in the Kitfox! We are now working on putting a bubble in turteldeck and then we reckon we will have a seat with a great view!. I reckon this will catch on.

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

Default Hanger Art

I think we should reinterpret hanger mess in to Hanger Art! I am happy to post the first offering but am sure others can top it! But I am sure that these would be wonderful on the living room wall!

cheers

Ross
    Mt Beatuy
    OZ

Smile Re: 3 seater SS7

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Gayle thinks that there is potential for a 3rd seat in the Kitfox! We are now working on putting a bubble in turteldeck and then we reckon we will have a seat with a great view!. I reckon this will catch on.

Ross
    Mt Beauty
    OZ

A bit like the old rumble seats of yester-year.

Maybe a good seat for a pouch with it's own headset.