Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trailering questions

Default trailering questions

I've searched the old forums for trailering tips, but I still have a couple specific questions. Does anyone have a taildragger on spring gear that can get me a total width measurement from tire to tire? And I see where you should trailer with the tail up, but I don't know how high. 3-4 feet sound about right? I have the ok from the rental company to screw wheel chocks and a tail stand to the wood deck of the trailer, but I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the tires and tail to the trailer without some serious mods to the decking. I don't want to push my luck too far. I rent from them often and it's the only place in town.

Default Re: trailering questions

I have 6"x8" wheels on my TD model 5 with spring gear, figure 7'6" wide at the mains out side to outside and that gives you a couple inches too, i havent set my tail up with wings folded yet so i dont have a tail height measurement, what will determine this on any trailer is what wheels/ tires on main and what tailwheel so even if i give you exact measurements for my plane, it might not be the same for another

Chase
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

If you really feel you need to have the tail up, 3 or 4 feet is way to high. I trailer mine with the tail down all the time.

For reference, this trailer deck is 22 inches off the ground.
    Loading1.jpg

The wings are pretty level with the tail wheel at 22 inches off the ground.
    Loading2.jpg

On the trailer.
    Loading3.jpg

Tail support.
    tail Support.jpg

Main wheel tire slings.
    Wheel tie down.jpg

Here's an idea for attaching to a rental trailer. Maybe this will spark some more ideas from others. Build some sort of false deck with your tie down points attached to it and attach the whole thing to the deck of the rented trailer by wrapping ratchet straps around the whole thing.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I've searched the old forums for trailering tips, but I still have a couple specific questions. Does anyone have a taildragger on spring gear that can get me a total width measurement from tire to tire? And I see where you should trailer with the tail up, but I don't know how high. 3-4 feet sound about right? I have the ok from the rental company to screw wheel chocks and a tail stand to the wood deck of the trailer, but I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the tires and tail to the trailer without some serious mods to the decking. I don't want to push my luck too far. I rent from them often and it's the only place in town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aBSJbegCw

Thanks guys! The photos and the video cleared up two questions, but raised more. Do all Kitfox's have the tube forward of the tail wheel spring for tie down? And how long is the support rod between the wing leading edge and the fuselage I see on Dave's video? I bet I could use some metal conduit and hammer the ends flat and make my own supports. Tom, great idea on the sub-deck for the trailer. I'm still thinking on that.
    Jay

Jay, Wing supports are 1/2 conduit from lowes. As you said measure and hammer flat to fit. Drill top hole 3/8s and bottom 7/16s. bolt under wing support. easy as that, $5.00 tops. Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox5v View Post
    Jay, Wing supports are 1/2 conduit from lowes. As you said measure and hammer flat to fit. Drill top hole 3/8s and bottom 7/16s. bolt under wing support. easy as that, $5.00 tops. Eddie

Thanks Eddie. Any idea how long? It looks about 4-5 feet.

I just had another thought. I have some old tire chains, why couldn't I toss one over each tire and lag bolt the chains tight to the trailer deck? I'm only going about 50 miles on back roads at less than 50mph.
    Last edited by beeryboats; 10-14-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Be careful using a car hauling trailer to transport your Kitfox. It will ride very, very harshly with only a couple hundred pounds on it. Damage can result from this jarring action.

The wing supports, on both ends, are super critical. As is the way the tail is supported to prevent damage to the empanage tubing or the tailwheel spring.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Any idea how long? It looks about 4-5 feet.
    On my model 4 distance center to center of the pin holes is about 47 inches. Top pin is 5/16" and bottom is 1/4". Two can be easily be made out of one 10 foot stick of conduit.

Of course don't do any bending or drilling until you have the plane then build them to fit it. Use a piece of rubber belting or something like that between the flattened end and the bottom of the spar.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I used a tailormade trailer (made by a fine friend - though he ain't no tailor), perhaps you can use the pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images