Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best heater for IV with 912 ???

Default Best heater for IV with 912 ???

ok.. picking up a IV with a 912. I will be installing a heater in it.. Im sure I can get some input here.. any seem better than others? install should be pretty easy. 2 hoses and power for the fan. Does anybody prefer one kit to another ? A heater kit for a Polaris ranger looks like it would work perfect ! lol

Default Re: Best heater for IV with 912 ???

ya mine. I take a little oil funnel(plastic) put it behind the radiator. block off most of the radiator that is not in front of the funnel. hook a scat hose to the funnel and hose it into the inside. free heat(no weight) no electrical loss. I also take some clear plastic and take the front cowls off, than I wrap from the doors to the fire wall and tape it shut over the windscreen. than I made sure and sealed off the area where the wing connects above the doors. than weather strip around the doors. then when you think that's all, I wear a heated vest that plugs in just under my seat, wooo that feels good. than some thin gloves. that just about does it.

where is the radiator on a round cowl kitfox,never thought about the utv world for a heater kit ,good thinking.like sly said though free heat from the radiator you already have is hard to beat

Early model dodge neon heater core and a couple computer fans on either a 3 speed switch or a reostat switch, make a plenum to hold the heater core which weighs less then 1 pound, out of some .016 aluminum, put an outlet to each side foot area and 1 or 2 going up to windscreen or panel mounted eyeball air inlets
    Heater core $40.00
    Switch ? At worst $12.00
    Plenum, a 2'x2' piece of .016 should be more then enough to fabricate a plenum and outlets
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I went the skypirate route with the core and computer fans ,put a valve inline to shut of coolant for summer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where/what brand of heater hose shut off? I got the official Kitfox kit which has a radiator core, T's, hose, switch, fuse, computer fans, etc. but no shutoffs. I was wondering....what about the heat of the summer?

Thanks, Skot

Quote Originally Posted by dynomike View Post
    I went the skypirate route with the core and computer fans ,put a valve inline to shut of coolant for summer

I used the same kit and bought a water valve from Ace Hardware. I'm leaving the handle off, except in the spring and autumn for turning the coolant on or off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For what it worth: I flew the factory SLSA Kitfox during my training at Stick & Rudder in Boise thru many hot summer days this year, up to 95F. The airplane has the factory heater WITHOUT any shutoff valve. When the fans are not running I felt no heat on my feet whatsoever, even though hot coolant is flowing thru the heater core. I had purchased a shutoff valve to install in my own Kitfox, but because of this firsthand experience I decided not to install it. Keep it simple.

Jim

Mine does not have a valve. I never had any unwanted heat issues, either. My thought is that is just another possible place for leaks...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

went to AutoZone today,..an all aluminum heater core $23.00 I will post part number tomorrow,..left it in the truck

Part Number:94607Weight:1.65 lbs
    Warranty:Limited Lifetime
    Heater Core Depth (in):2
    Heater Core Inlet Size (in):.63
    Heater Core Length (in):8
    Heater Core Outlet Size (in):.75
    Heater Core Width (in):6.25
    Material:Aluminum
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 10-16-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added some spacing
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL