Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best heater for IV with 912 ???

Default Re: Best heater for IV with 912 ???

Is the Ace valve made to hold up under constant heat? Is the valve mounted inside the cockpit or in the front of the firewall? Is there only one valve or two? I started the install of my kit yesterday and hope to have a working heater by the weekend. Ace Hardware is just up the street.

Thanks much. Skot

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    I used the same kit and bought a water valve from Ace Hardware. I'm leaving the handle off, except in the spring and autumn for turning the coolant on or off.

It can be used on hot water heaters, so heat is not a problem. There is one valve and is on the engine side of the firewall. I tried to attach a sketch of my system, but it would not accept a tiff file.

Its $15.00 for an autozone valve part #74001 , choke cable operated mount on engine side of firewall and you need 2 "T"s if your putting a shut off valve, hose from feed side of water pump, to a "T" then valve then heater core, return line from heater core through firewall to "T" back to return for engine, put a short hose from "T" to "T"
    You dont have to run a cable if you dont want to to operate it, you can turn it to open if its cold prior to flying, or close it if its warm,..it weighs 0.18 lb
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 10-16-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

here is the autozone heatcore part #94607Weight:1.65 lbs

Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

It sort of sounds like we are inventing something that has been around for a long time with multiple thousands of happy campers.

The original heater cores were Earl's oil cooler cores sized for conversion to heater use. Inlet/outlet tubing accommodated half inch tubing. A little more expensive than the Autozone cooler, but overall much lighter when you consider the weight of the larger tubing and the coolant to fill the larger tubing.

My heater has a single muffin fan, but some of the factory heaters are wider for a two fan set-up for colder climates. Earls and similar coolers come in multiple sizes for custom set-ups if desired. An example - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...8erl/overview/ I should mention that the width is the overall width including mounting tabs which are typically cut off for heater use.

This cooler comes with AN8 fittings for various choices as terminals. Mine is mounted with the fittings facing the engine compartment so all rubber and fittings are forward of the firewall.
    Last edited by HighWing; 10-17-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Talking Re: Best heater for IV with 912 ???

Here are a few more options:

Take a look here: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/radiators.html

These are computer (PC) water/glycol cooling radiators. Been around for a long time. A little pricey, and not as much capacity as some auto radiators. But might work for some that have configuration issues, space issues or just need a little heat to take the chill off. They come in various sizes (heating/cooling capacity) and have varying connection locations that may work better for some limited spaces/configurations. They are also pretty light weight.

I would only use them in a side flow application as the ports are only 1/4" or 3/8" So don't try to flow all your coolant through them.

As a side benefit, they are tapped to mount computer cooling fans directly to them without having to jury rig something.

Or, try this: http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/heat...ster-assembly/

This is currently sold out (temporarily) and a little pricey but is very complete with radiator, valve, 3 speed fan, control switch, ducting and some interesting vents. Kind of cool (hot).

Or if you want to do oil cooling - all mid 90's Suzuki Intruders used oil coolers out front - most people thing the engine is water cooled, but it is actually an oil cooler. They came in 2 different sizes depending on the bike. For that matter many motorcycle radiators would also work and are very lightweight and compact as they were designed for bikes. Your local motorcycle recycler may be your friend!

Have fun,
    Greg

16 lbs for the cobra kit ..er factory five kit..

by the way the factory 5 cobra kit is one awesome car,..it's on my bucket list
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Yea, I saw that and have been assured that is shipping weight. But they don't have any on hand, so they can't tell me for sure. The actual weight is still probably pretty high though.

I was more interested in some of the parts with it, as I think they could be very useful. When the time comes - I'm going to see if they will break out and sell just some of the adapters, vents, switch/cable and valve.

The FF5 Cobra/Roadster has been on my list forever! Since they came out with the 33 Hot Rod, I've been vacillating on the choice - it's also one very cool car!

I have yet to see the 33 in person, so until I do, I'm going to leave it up in the air!

Greg

piecing a heater unit together is most likely going to be cheaper then buying anothers rendition of same ,..it has it's advantages and disadvantages,..advantage,,if you modify something yourself,..most likely from parts bought locally,..easy replacement of any parts that fail,..custom built to each builders desire,..

disadvantage,..hmmm ok so I cant think of any disadvantage to building my own..
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I agree wholeheartedly. But I keep reminding myself that some others might not have the same skill sets. So what may be appropriate for you or me, may not be the best option for some others that follow along in these forums.

For instance, it may not be clear to some that these are side flow installations (must be)! They need to be piped to provide positive pressure through the radiator to minimize the chance of a bubble creating an airlock, need a place to burp all the air once installed, need to know the right way to plumb a tee so as not to create opposing flow situations, etc. etc.....