Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: ighition system mounting

Default ighition system mounting

After reviewing several methods, I finally mounted the ignition system in a yet different way. I used steel clamps from the aviation department of Ace hardware and 1/8" aluminum sheet stock. I used four of the rubber vibration isolators. After fretting about this for months, the whole thing was done in a day (a long one). There is not a lot of room when installing a 912 in a KF IV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Re: ighition system mounting

Looks good Bill
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Default Re: ighition system mounting

Bill,
    Your statement "There is not a lot of room when installing a 912 in a KF IV" shakes me up.... that is my job for this winter.... I need more POSITIVE VIBES!!!! LMAO!!!

Seriously, THANK YOU for the excellent pictures, I will follow your example when it comes time to do this task!! Again, thank you!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Not to worry, it is nothing you can't finish in your lifetime. Seriously, do not use aluminum clamps, as they can fatigue and break when subjected to prolonged vibration. Steel clamps are much better in this application.
    Last edited by mr bill; 10-11-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: add caution

Everything you wanted to know about Adel clamps...
    http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/adel.html
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I can't see the bracket to the motor mount. make sure you have a coating between the bracket and the mount so as to not put a wear spots on the mount.

The top of the engine on the passenger side is congested with fuel lines, engine preheat wires and engine instrument wires, so I mounted the ignition system on the pilots side of the engine mount. This meant leaving the bottom spark plug wires for # 2 & 4 cylinders as is, but swapped the top plug wires for cylinders 1&3 with 2&4. I am now installing new, longer wires for bottom cylinders 1&3. I am installing a Bullyhawk soft start module connected to module A, in effect lengthening that cable. For module B, I am installing a six inch pin for pin cable extension. As you can see in the previous pictures, mounting the modules was greatly simplified and quite sturdy.