Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gap Seals

Default motor mount

Sorry if I am posting wrong but I have never done this before. I am building a KF 5 Vixen. I have modified it to taildragger or tricycle. I am in need of a motor mount for a Stratus Subaru conversion engine. I tried everywhere I could think of, even tried AIRDALE but trying to get hold of that guy is a waste of time. Can anyone help with this or will I have to build my own? I'm not a welder I can just stick metal together.
    Thanks
    Jim D.
    jrdepd@verizon.net

Default Re: Gap Seals

Lowell's version takes some effort to accomplish, but gives really superior results.

Saw the cub crafters gap seal at 200 bucks a copy. Being a thrifty Kitfoxer I went to the depot and found pipe insulation to fit the tubes, then sprayed it with a rubberized aerosol spray for waterproofing and attached with contact cement. Total cost of about 10 bucks for the same result. Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

And do you notice a difference?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Finn, About the only time I noticed any difference is in the flare. My elevator inputs yield more results than before the seals. The "feel" is more positive in the flare. I have the IO-240 up front so I need lots of elevator authority at slow speeds. The trim assist spring system and gap seals provide good control. Would I do the gap seals again,yes its an easy mod that is cheap. Bruce

Thanks Bruce
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Airlina, I like your idea. Can you say a little more about the rubberized aerosol spray for waterproofing?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I just found the can of stuff I used-got it either at lowes or the home depot and its called performix plastic dip multi purpose rubber coating. I wanted to make sure the pipe insulation foam would repel water so i used this to coat it before installation. They also make that dip rubber coating for tool grips that could be brushed on (Its pretty thick though) same company as the spray. Bruce

Okay thanks for the info. I'm going to look for it.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Airlina,
    Your gap seal looks very nice. I'm trying to understand how you installed it. Did you just basically cut the foam tubes in half (or less) and then just kind of "mush" the halves in place, back to back? And, what size foam tubes did you use? I'm guessing this was the foam insulating tubes used for water pipe, etc. ... And, did you glue them to the horizontal stabilizer and elevator?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos