Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gap Seals

Default Re: Gap Seals

just take some tape and put the stickside against each though the lenth that you are going to use. leave about 1/4 inch on each side. now put it through the opening, seal it on top on one surface and than put to the other sealing surface and seal it down. kind of hard to explain. but u end up with sticking on the horizonal on the top side and sticking to the elevator on the bottom side. I use packaging tape clear and than paint with spray white afterward. I suppose you can look for tape that's close to your color and do the same. one more thing, put the elevator in one of it's throws so it doesn't bind when done.

If your going to use tape, full down elevator, put tape on top, the full elevator up, put tape on bottom doing this the 2 tape strips wont meet in the middle unless you cut lengths to go between hinges and actually push it down with a paint stick or something similar
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

The last time I put tape on my elevator to gap seal, I found Duct brand has a clear tape, which I used. It is a heavier tape than packing tape and has been on my plane for over 3 years so far. I found it in the aviation department of Home Depot.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

if you use the packaging tape there is bad and good. I use the scotch brand.

This thread seems to have drifted from the OP and wing to fuselage gap. I am curios if there is any noticeable effect of closing the trailing edge to turtle deck gap.
    Larry, which gap were you referring to?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My 80 old Dad with a PhD in Aero Engineering just looks at the Kitfox when I ask
    him questions about aerodynamic improvements, shakes his head and says
    things like - Don't waste your time, just go fly it.

Jeff

I'll elaborate a bit more. When I have 8.50x6 tires on the plane instead of
    6.00x6 tires. I can't tell the difference that they are on the plane except for
    the ground handling changes ... I still get same airspeed, etc. So my conclusion
    is the plane is so draggy to begin with, it's basically a lost cause. So just
    go fly the plane is probably good advice. On the other hand it's a hobby
    so why not?

Regards,
    Jeff

sorry things got off track. If you are talking about the gap above the doors between the wing and fuse. I sealed my off mainly for comfort. same with the back section where the turdle deck is. If you are trying to make the fox faster, I agree, not going to happen. now for winter ops, nice to do. Now for the gap seals on the rear. The rudder, it's like putting on power steering. make sure that one is closed up. the elevator, not sure. I did mine. You can put the tape in there to see if it helps. If it does and you want something that looks better, than forgo the improvements. my take.

When I gap sealed by elevators I did see a noticable difference both in landing and take off controll. I fly a nose wheel plane and I can keep the nose wheel off the ground until I'm about stopped which really helps when flying into backcountry rough airstrips. Same with take off. I pull the stick all the way back for take off and the nose comes off the ground amost immediately, then I let the nose back down (off the ground) and just keep it off the ground during take off. I usually set the flaperons 1/2 way, then when I want to get off the ground short, I pull the flaperons all the way when I'm going about 30 mph indicated. The plane leaps off the ground. I lower the nose to get airspeed and slowly bleed the flaps back to zero.

I haven't gap sealed the rudder yet, but I've been meaning to. Sounds like I should try it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Hi Guys
    If you look on the pics in my album you may get an idea of how I did my elevators. Used a cleverly cut length of foam pipe insulation and Gorilla tape!
    Been over 2 years and 200 hours with no problems so far.,
    Have fun
    Don