Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maiden Flight Today

Default Re: Maiden Flight Today

Climbing through 3000 feet in N85AE on test flight four, I reduced power to
    level out, and the engine went "woof" and it was really quiet. Good fortune
    and a tailwind got me back to the airport. Don't be too Chuck Yeager.

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Today I readjusted the trim ballscrew to give about 1/2" more nose up travel at the leading edge of the horiz stab. Also I backed out the right lift strut rod end 1 full turn at the trailing edge to help bring down the right wing which wanted to ride a little high. I'll see how these two adjustments pan out on the next test flight. Will keep you posted, however the weather is getting dicy again.
    This is really interesting and fun to be a test pilot and aircraft mechanic, to try to tweak an already good performing airplane to be even more perfect. I will be following the FAA AC 90-89A Phase I flight testing advisory circular for my test flights. In some ways it is too conservative for a well proven design like the Kitfox, but hey you need something to do while you're doing circles in your local area for 40 hours, and it makes you feel like a Chuck Yeager or something wringing out a brand new prototype Super X-1000 Mega Fighter.

Jim

Default Re: Maiden Flight Today

Jeff, we're hanging at 3,000 ft with you. What happened?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos