Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: radio noise

Default radio noise

I have a KF 111 with 582 and a handheld icom radio. At cruise rpm i am getting alot of hash. In order get off a good transmission I mush backoff the power while in transmit mode. Obviously it is electrically generated. any thoughts of how to deal with it.
    Don

Default Re: radio noise

some might disagree but I ran the resistor plugs on my model 2 /582, I had a panel radio though..icom a200,.. with a hand held I'm going to assume your not using the electrical system on the plane to power the radio?

if you are using the aircrafts electrical system to power the radio ..you can buy at radio shack these options..a noise filter that goes in line on the positive side of power supply or try a .5 capacitor on the power side at the radio's connection point.. solder one leg of the capacitor to the hot wire..the other leg to the ground..this will alleviate some ignition noise to a point..make sure all your connections are clean and tight from battery to radio connect point,.and all grounds are common..it's better to have a little more wire and have all grounds come to one point then it is to connect grounds at different points of the airframe

MGL offers this

10,000uF Electrolytic Capacitor
    This 10,000uF electrolytic capacitor is an inexpensive and useful addition to your aircraft’s power supply. It can significantly reduce noise signals on your power supply that may be affecting your VHF radio, such as ignition noise or rectifier/regulator noise artifacts.

Note: The capacitor must be installed as close as possible to the noise source, in parallel (across the + and - of the power supply going to the noise source), with very short leads for maximum effect.

Price: $6.50 + shipping from CA