Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manifold pressure in a rotax 912uls

Default Manifold pressure in a rotax 912uls

I'm used to flying a fuel injected engine with separate throttle and propeller(variable pitch) controls. soon I will be ordering a Dynon Flight Dek D180 to go with my SS7 and 912uls and Whirlwind fixed pitched propeller) and the order form asks if I want a Manifold Pressure Sensor (which they say is usually included in the rotax engine sensor package). I don't think there is any value to monitoring the MP with my set up. Am I missing something? I also find it a bit unusual that the Dynon d180 Sensor "package" includes only two EGT sensors and uses only the two CHT sensors that come with the 912. Also the package includes a carburated fuel pressure sensor. I'm inclined to add 2 chts and 2egts and I don't know if the fuel pressure sensor is a good idea. I will appreciate any thoughts or comments with someone who is more familiar with these things.

Default Re: Manifold pressure in a rotax 912uls

After looking through the Rotax manual and looking at the 912 uls I'm not sure I can monitor CHTs in all four cylinders. Anyone out there have 4 CHT sensors on a Rotax 912?

If it means anything , I have the same engine(912uls). I use one CHT(stuck on the meter for water temp). one oil temp, actually 2 sensors for the oil pressure. nothing else. my egt died(1) and I just didn't care when it did work. I never had a fuel pressure. so there you go. Have no plans of doing any more. I fly mine over 100hrs a year. Oh and I have an inflight adjustable prop and have NO intake sensor. I use engine rpm, that one is very important on the rotax in my opinion.

I only have one (1) CHT sensor, located on the hottest cylinder (right rear in my case looking from the cockpit). You can move the sensor around to see which cylinder is hottest.

Dick B

Hi Jch
    I have a 912 UL with a IVO IFA prop. I have round gauges one CHT, one EGT, one coolant temp gauge. I did install an automotive fuel pressure and I do like to see that it is in the 5PIS range.
    Also installed a small manifold pressure gauge that I like to use with the IFA. I do have trouble maintaining MP in the 27 inch range at high elevation cruise power though.
    I find a few gauges are reassuring that all`s well.
    Good luck
    Don

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,

I believe that a manifold pressure gauge is recommended for an inflight adjustable prop. using it and the tach helps in setting the prop and engine load.

Its not needed for a fixed pitch prop setup.

I have the dynon 120 , it is setup with tach , 2 cht and 4 egt, oil temp and pressure, the MAP , fuel flow, volts and coolant temp sensors. I like looking in one spot for all the info.and really like the audible alerts if something goes out of the parameters set . A fuel pressure sensor would be a good addition !

I don't know of any 912 ULS 's that run 4 cht sensors, they are set up with #2 and #3 cylinders being sensored from the factory.
    Last edited by kmach; 10-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I run my 912ULS with the standard Dynon package, I have MAP and never look at it, 2 EGTs which honestly I also rarely look at, fuel pressure which makes me feel warm and fuzzy, 2 CHTs which seem enough (given one on each side) and fuel flow which I find handy on longer trips. I have also recently switched to the Kavlico sensors which I like a lot. If I were to do it again I would move the Oil pressure sender back to the firewall right out of the gate.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal, why would you move your oil pressure sender to the firewall?

My order form asks if I need "extension wires for EGT probes" and how many feet? If I want 4 EGTs, how many feet of extension wire should I get? I am getting closer to installing all these things. Still need to educate myself on how to do it and I'm trying to get all the materials together so I do t have to keep sending in orders for small stuff. Thanks for the help. Sure would
    like to fly the ss7 to oshkosh and the factory fly ins next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    Dorsal, why would you move your oil pressure sender to the firewall?
    for the reason I did. Because of vibration in the engine takes out the sensor