Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manifold pressure in a rotax 912uls

Default Re: Manifold pressure in a rotax 912uls

in my opinion map reading does nothing for setting the prop. rpm on the other hand. I have the round guage with color code for the 912. very nice and I keep it in the yellow on take off or 5800 area for no more than 3 minutes. after that it stays at around 5200 regardless of the throttle. at least to a point. when I go to land I put full throttle at 5200. than I back off the throttle to 4200rpm than flatten the prop to 5200 about a count of 3 as in 1000-1 1000-2 1000-3, generally that's all it takes. If for some reason it takes much longer than that, it's a sign the prop movement is slowing, I start looking at things, yes this has happened, I found a build up of grease on the contacts where things spin, for the brushes. I leave the prop setting alone and when I go to take off the next time it's perfect for take off. I monitor the rpm and operate the switch for the prop to stay in the yellow, once I level I put it to 5200. done.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 10-04-2013 at 08:53 AM.

had the oil pressure sender fail at 3.5 hr,s over the beach. if I had put it down I would have had to remove the wings and get a barge to get it back to the mainland as the beach I was over is an island. climbed until I was high enough to make it back to the runway, by then I knew it was not an oil pressure problem or it would have locked up by then. moved it to the firewall and installed a second manual elec, gage as a backup.
    as for the fuel pressure reading I am glad I have it as it showed a low fuel pressure warning after about 2.5 hr,s of flying caused by a vent line restriction from a tye rap that was pulled to tite

Quote Originally Posted by Jch View Post
    Dorsal, why would you move your oil pressure sender to the firewall?
    What Slyfox said, see thread http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4754

Only time I had a low fuel warning was because I had the main valve off wouldn't have made it to take off but was good to know before the engine quit.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I never turn my fuel off. On the oil sender. I have the pressure sensor and an on/off switch that turns on at about 35psi. I put that on/off wired into one of my cht guages. so I watch for pressure and for that cht to go to 220. if one goes to zero I look at the other. my butt is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I never turn my fuel off. On the oil sender. I have the pressure sensor and an on/off switch that turns on at about 35psi. I put that on/off wired into one of my cht guages. so I watch for pressure and for that cht to go to 220. if one goes to zero I look at the other. my butt is covered.
    Normally neither do I, shut it off while swapping out the fuel pressure sender, thought the sender didn't work cause the reading was zero
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

oops. can understand. glad you caught it.

Sounds like moving the pressure sensor is a good plan. Where. Could I look for more information on how to do this and what parts are needed? I can also see the value of the fuel pressure sensor from the replies. Thanks all!

for ease. call lockwood and get there kit, reuse your sensor. me, I made my own.

I used the kit sold by Kitfox
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I had a fairly high temp braided steel line 36 inches long made up at local hydraulic shop with 1/8NPT male on one end for engine and 1/8NPT female on the other for the pressure sender. Relocated to engine mount at firewall on my SS.

Dick B