Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Carb Synchronization Vacuum Gauges

Default Carb Synchronization Vacuum Gauges

Folks,

I'm looking for a set of analog vacuum gauges for carb synchronization. I just took a Rotax course where the instructor used his personal set (liquid filled to reduce needle jump) and would love to get a set like that. I already have a CarbMate but there's nothing more satisfying than looking at dial needles. Another option, perhaps even better is a twin engine vacuum gauge. Any leads?

Thanks much,

Skot
    Vixen, 912ULS N24V

Default Re: Carb Synchronization Vacuum Gauges

Something simple I've seen used is a twin engine aircraft manifold pressure gauge. You set your rpm then just adjust the throttle cables until the two needles line up. Done. It took two of us about 5 minutes in all to set both carbs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That's what I use, came out of a B-17. I have the older bell crank in my model 4, and use Lowell's throttle adjuster. I can sit in the cockpit and sync without any tools. It takes longer to take off the cowl.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Yep I have a dual manifold gauge simple to connect and read and makes it so easy to dial in the throttles.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I personally have not synced the Rotax engine but have experience with 2 and 4 cylinder motorcycles and my preference is the Twinmax balancer. I have used this on carbs as well as FI motorcycles with better results over the analog gauges. The Twinmax looks at the difference between the carbs and gives a reading from zero (differential pressure). You simply dial it in to zero and you’re done – there was a noticeable difference with my present twin over analog gauges. Don’t know if this would work for the Rotax but seems like it should and might be an option to consider. www.twinmax.co.uk/

The idea of being able to tweak manifold pressure in flight, appeals to my tinkering side. I have a Cessna dual manifold pressure gauge and the Highwing throttle link, but what kind of mechanism would operate the throttle link in flight?