Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help for a newbie

Default Help for a newbie

Hello gents, first post. Looks like I'm going to have a bunch of questions.

I currently have an RV-6, and I'm going to take possesion of a Kitfox kit late this week. I have not laid eyes on it as of yet, but I've been told it was originally purchased as a Kitfox 2, then the kit was upgraded to a Kitfox 3, and finally to a 4. I didn't think that's even possible without a completely different fuse and wing... It supposedly has a 912 with it as well. Apparently almost no work has been done, which is a good thing.

Any guidance from the group as far as how to ID components/versions? I don't yet know what kind of paperwork it's going to have with it. I've only been told it has "all the manuals and everything".

Based on the limited research I've done so far, I'm interested in the Kitfox at the Model 4-1200 level and above, so I'm not sure that the components I'm getting are going to be useable with that in mind.

If it turns out that I can build it to the level I want, or close, then that's great. If not, I'll likley be selling the kit or parting out the components.

I'm coming to the group for help, so please give me your initial thoughts, good or bad. As I learn more about what it actually is I'll let you know.

Doug

Default Re: Help for a newbie

until you have the kit in front of you it's just all guestimations,..no sense worrying about what it may or may not be until you can compare with what you have to any possibly mods it might have,..the lift strut diameter,..the wing spar insert,..all could be changed in the kit just by replacing the parts,..the only part that can't be changed without modifying is the fuselage,..4's have bigger vertical stab's and bigger carry thru's at wing attach points

I'll probably see this thing tomorrow. I was hoping to get some input on parts ID.

Looking to see if anyone knows if there's an easy way to identify the fuselage, a 4 wing vs a 2 wing, and where to find part/serial numbers, etc.

Once I have eyes on it I would like to be able to determine if it's a viable project as soon as possible, so if anyone can provide a bit of guidance I would appreciate it.

Hopefully there is some decent documentation along with it, if nothing else receipts or shipping labels will be helpful. We'll just have to see...

Doug

OK, I have this kit in my hanger now. I haven't done a full inventory but it appears to be pretty complete, down to a container of small parts of bagged hardware and such. This kit appears has had very little work done to it. The build number puts it as a Kitfox 3, and it's got a new 582 in a box as well.

I'm probably going to sell this for the friend that brought it to me, they just needed to get it moved out of storage and I was able to accomodate that. The aircraft belonged to his father in law, who passed away some years ago.

Of course without seeing what I have in detail, an accurate price isn't possible. With that in mind what's a ballpark price for something like this? I've already been approached by someone on the field, but frankly I don't know what it's worth.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, if it was an RV I'd have a good idea of where to go, but I'm a bit lost with the Kitfox.

Thanks,
    Doug

Depends a bit on the options. Is the fuselage powder coated? Upholstery? Dual 13 gal wing tanks? Baggage sack? Behind seat poly header tank? Cabin Heater?

Posting pics of the components would be useful.

A basic flying Model III with a 582 probably goes for $17-20K US. A kit that's sat for awhile will probably need additional cash investment to get it flying. Think new chemicals, getting the engine up to snuff, radios and panel instruments, interior, new bungees, tires, etc.

My guess would be around $8-10K if all components are in top condition.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I do need to get out to the hanger and get some pics and finish a cursory inventory. Just too much going on right now, and I'm doing a little work on the RV that takes precedence.

This much I know: The fuse has been painted, no powdercoat, it does have unmounted wing tanks, no seats or upholstery that I saw, don't know about cabin heater parts, I didn't see anything like that. Come to think of it, I didn't see a prop either.