Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked model 4

Default Wrecked model 4

Does anybody know of a totaled model 4 that the pilot walked away from? If you could pass me some information about the owner, I am mainly looking for his airworthiness certificate , I have most of the pieces but might be able to purchase some of the salvage as well.
    Jeff Dill
    Sold da Fo & bought a Bo
    Kept Dad's Kitfox II/503 flying

Default Re: Wrecked model 4

Why not just build it from parts and apply for a new airworthiness you could get a repairmens certificate as well. Just a thought.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Can't, unless I do not call it a Kitfox. It's complicated, but I would wind up selling it anyway, already have one. I have most of it, needs all ribs, landing gear,and radiator, and propstrike inspection quoted at $250 by leading edge airfoils on a 25 hr 582. Yours for $5000. I think I have to build it up to get it off my plate.
    Jeff Dill
    Sold da Fo & bought a Bo

Quote Originally Posted by Captdill View Post
    Can't, unless I do not call it a Kitfox.
    I don't understand. When I finished my currently flying Model IV, rather than hassle with the paper trail - I was the second owner of the kit - I registered it as constructed from miscellaneous parts. I had made some significant modifications and had some documentation, but didn't get a single question. Application sent and registration back in the mail. Registered as Kitfox.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

How did you do this, Lowell?

I bought my "Mangy Fox" as a project (it was certificated E-AB). I have rebuilt it far further than the original builder did the original kit. I'd love to reregister it using "built from parts" as a new experimental plane. Even as a "Mangy Mark I" if I had to.

BUT-- I don't have receipts for the "parts" used to assemble it. (Sales tax issue, too...)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Previous owner completely dismantled it after once around the pattern. Turned in the airworthiness certificate. Does not want name on the airworthiness. It flew. Hate to be overly cryptic.
    Jeff Dill
    Sold da Fo & bought a Bo

Somebody in West Virginia is advertising a Model 4 Speedster 912 for parts on Barnstormers.

Worth a try??
    Rich Cunningham
    N4449 - Model IV Speedster
    912 UL Zippered up to 100 hp

I got the miscellaneous parts idea from a guy on one of the early email lists who registered his that way. This was after the FAA demanded the paper trail through all owners back to the original purchase of the kit.

On the "Affidavit of Ownership for Amateur Built and Other Non Certificated Aircraft", there are four boxes, one of which needs to be checked.

The first box reads:
    More than 50% of the above-described aircraft was built from miscellaneous parts and I am the owner. (This option is for aircraft eligible for amateur built certification)

I recall the 50% thing has been discussed in the past and there is still some argument as to just what constitutes a part. Is a bolt or a circuit breaker the equivalent of an elevator, for example. I built the landing gear, engine mount, all the ribs for the Horizontal stabilizer, elevator, vertical stabilizer, rudder and gap seals, and added a home brew leading edge. I also got new lexan for the windshield and quarter windows, all wiring, instruments, circuit breakers, fabric, finish tapes riblace cord and on and on, I felt pretty secure that I could prove over 50%, but the question never came up. I signed and notarized the documents, sent the application to Oklahoma City and the registration certificate for the airplane came back in my name. I used an inspector from the local FSDO for the airworthiness inspection and had a binder that showed what I had done, but even then the 50% thing never came up. I don't know if this method is more or less foggy than the common practice of restoring a certified airplane then using a registration from a totally different airplane for re-registration. I guess the only thing I would do if I was using a "salvage" fuselage for a new registration is change the serial number as the old one is likely on file. But that would have to be done if someone was to use another airplane's registration anyway.

I guess my feeling is, if you are using salvage major parts along with everything that will be purchased and used to complete a flying airplane, I would think it would be pretty straight forward to claim that over 50% is miscellaneous parts especially since there is no question on the registration form as to whether any of the parts used have been part of a previously registered airplane. It just seems pretty clean to me. and I kind of like clean.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I have heard that the EAA has specifically recommended exactly what Lowell described as a means to register an older kit with lost documentation. The FAA doesn't care what you call it even if you go with "Kitfox". You can even make up your own serial number regardless of what Kitfox scratched into it.

"More than 50% of the above-described aircraft was built from miscellaneous parts and I am the owner. (This option is for aircraft eligible for amateur built certification)"

What form is that? I have seen it but forgot the number. You are all circling around the issues that I have become familiar with. I have been told various things at different points, includng the local DAR and the manufacturer about the issues that apply here. I spent today looking at Bonanzas. I am probably kissing off 10-15K by not building it, but I want it off my plate and add a Vtail to my playbox.

The Model 2 is for my skinny friends and the Bonanza for the fat ones.
    Jeff Dill
    Sold da Fo & bought a Bo