Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail Skid

Default Tail Skid

Hi. I'm building a Series 5 Vixen and I need to hear from someone else before I take a saw to a factory part. My tail skid is too long for the tunnel in the vertical stabilizer that it goes up into, protruding about 1/2". The front end where it bolts up is also missing the bottom of the fuselage by the same 1/2". I looked up into the tunnel and there appears to be a washer welded into the tube for a stop to the tailskid vertical post. The obvious solution is to take a saw to the post and shorten it, but it is always easier to make something shorter than to make it bigger later if that was the wrong thing to do. Any input from experienced builders would be helpful.
    Thanks to all who offer advice.

Default Re: Tail Skid

Bob,

I am trying to visualize this....do you have a photo or two that shows where the mismatch is?

FYI - the attached photo is the only one I have of the tailskid mounting area.

Dave S
    Attached Images Attached Images