Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mixing box wear

Default Mixing box wear

KF Classic IV: My airframe has over 1000 hrs. The mixing box shows some wear (play) at one of the joints. Has anyone noticed a similar problem on theirs? (presumably on high-time airframes). Has anyone replaced their entire mixing box? Thnx for any feedback. TT.

Default Re: Mixing box wear

Series 6 with 500 hrs at last condition inspection had similar at the pin that allows rotation for the ailerons. The one held in by a piece of bent stainless. I was surprised at how little difference there was in the worn vs replacement pins. Fixed it though.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

No wear on the part then, just the pin?
    Thnx for the feedback Max.

send me some pics or videos of this looseness.

Some enlarged holes can be repaired.

it is a bolt , rod end or solid piece that is worn?

I noticed "unusual" movement on inspection. I replaced the pin only hoping it would fix it and it did. I was not excited about the prospect of replacing the whole box.

I did lube this area at every condition inspection. With Triflo I think. It is given bearing grease on assembly but I have a hard time deciding to drill out rivets to put in new grease at every inspection. Anybody got a better idea?
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

The tri flow is thin and may have washed the grease out. I use a spray can of Lithium grease with the application tube on difficult to dissemble/reassemble areas where grease is used..
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thnx for the offer Dave. The machine is in Quebec (hangared for the winter) & I'm here in Ont. The only pic I have is on my iPod, which I will gladly email you (see PM). You'll recognize the joint when you see it. I haven't taken it apart yet since it wasn't "loose enough" to worry me, but I really should be on it next spring. Am looking forward to hearing your comments. Maybe I can find a way to post it here for others to see.