Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Air-Tech Rotax Gear Box Clutch

Default Air-Tech Rotax Gear Box Clutch

Is anyone out there using the Air-Tech Clutch or similar? Has someone tryed it? It sounds like it would be a great option for anyone with a 2 stroke or float plane. I sure would like to hear the pro's and con's on the clutch.

Pieter
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Default Re: Air-Tech Rotax Gear Box Clutch

I have the Air Tech RK400 clutch installed on my Rotax 582 and 3:1 C Gearbox. Wouldn't have it any other way, it should be factory installed. I idle at 1,500 RPM's all day long, the engine runs so smooth you almost cannot tell its running with BOSE headsets. Add a little throttle and it spins the prop up, then you cannot tell a difference. But the starts and shutdowns are alot easier by eliminating the load from the prop.

Also, fly a high and tight pattern, chop the power and turn to final while the prop freewheels. For starters now you know EXACTLY how the airplane will fly with an actual engine out and it allows for a shorter landing distance because the prop is not pulling you on touchdown.

I would highly recommend it if you want a smoother, long lasting 582.

ALOT of guys/gals on AvidFoxFlyers have been using this clutch for years with great results!

I have ran thousands of 582 hours without a cluth and never had an issue.
    Same on 503 -

I will go 450 to 650 hours with no de carboning and never had a failure -- YET.

Smoother at idle yes but longer lasting ? I cannot verify that statement - can you ?

I have never had an issue with starting or shut down either.

I do not really like the extra part on the drive that adds another part to fail.
    That being said I would like to try one soon on my next Rotax 670 + experimental instal.

Just my opinion and this is how information gets distorted on the net.

Cheers

The way I see it is the 582 TBO is based on fuel consumption. When I installed the clutch my idle fuel consumption went from 1.5 gph at idle to .3 gph at idle. The idle went from 3k to 1,500. The engine starts with no prop or gearbox load which relieves alot of stress on the crankshaft. I just barely bump the starter and it starts without effort.

We have a local fellow who has a twin engine air cam with 1,200 hours on one of his 582's and he swears it is the clutch. That is 1,200 hours on the original crank, rods and pistons.

I would still decarbonize on a regular schedule. I think carbon buildup is becoming less of an issue with newer oil but I still feels its important.

As far as clutch failure, I think the odds are slim. The air tech clutch looks well built with good clutch material. I have many hours in helicopters and every single on of them uses a centrifugal clutch, lycoming 0-360 or 0-540 with a much smaller clutch then the air tech. I even fly behind an Allison Model 250 Turbine with a centrifugal clutch and I don't think twice about it.