Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Ignition

Default Dead Ignition

I have a 912ULS with 6.5 hrs operating time on it in my SS. During run-up and mag check, left checked good, right totally dead, let engine stop. Restarted engine, mag checks again, same results. I have an ACS-510-2 ignition switch with off, right, left, both, and start, mfg 2008. Any one else had a problem with this type of switch? I hate to think that an ignition module has crapped out at just these few hours. More troubleshooting to follow tomorrow.

Dick B

Default Re: Dead Ignition

Switch sides on the switch, left and right to see if it is the module or the switch. Maybe just a bad wire or connection? That wouldn't be a first either.

I'm not going to rehash the ACS switch thing, that's been done elsewhere before...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Dick, I'd say that the odds are in your favor that it is something minor and not the ignition module. I never use a keyed switch on my Kitfoxs so I'm not personally familiar with the ACS switch issue, as Larry mentioned, but do recall a discussion or two about the reliability there in.

I had this similar sounding issue with my 912 years ago and it turned out to be a broken wire coming out of the ignition module, a ground wire. Vibration had broken the copper strands inside the insulation showing no visible problem. Using a stick pin and continuity tester I isolated the broken spot and spliced in a new wire. I also relocated the ignition modules to the firewall side of the motor mount instead of the engine side. Never had that problem again. Just another possibility to explore. Don't panic yet. Again, most likely a small problem and not the expensive one.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Just an update on what's going on. After numerous checks of wiring, a new high dollar ignition switch and some switching of wires in connectors for the ignition modules, the problem is a bad electronic module which equals $$$$! Also, the replacement parts are on backorder at all three Rotax Service Centers with unknown delivery dates. Guess I'll look at the leaves changing from the ground this fall.

Dick B

just a thought ,,St Charles Flying Service just north of STL,..one of the students nosed a Avecktor in the ground a week or so ago, really didn't hurt it too bad ,,both student and instructor walked away with a few scratches..it has a 912ULS on it,I wonder if they are done with all the legal involved and what they are going to do with the parts on the plane 1-636 946 6066

Give Ronnie a call at South Mississippi Light Aircraft: (601) 947-4953
    He keeps a lot of ROTAX ignition stuff on hand - we got a stator from him at a very reasonable price.
    Rich Cunningham
    N4449 - Model IV Speedster
    912 UL Zippered up to 100 hp

Dick B.

In an earlier post I took apart an ignition switch and posted pictures of the internal workings. Go to reply #18.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3543&

There are only two possibilities of fail mode.

1. The switch turns the ignition off. Otherwise, the ignition is on. The design is such that if it fails it will not ground the magneto. A failure in the switch can cause a mag to be "HOT" but cannot cause an ignition an ignition to be inoperative.

2. The internal contacts can burn or corrode preventing the starter from engaging.

The AD that applies to these type switches is to make sure they ground the magneto to "OFF".

Preventing the possibility of burned contacts in the switch is easy. Install a diode across the starter solenoid. I would do this regardless of the type switch you have for starting, be it a rotary key, toggle, or push button. All of them have internal contacts.

Concerning your loss of ignition I would look at the wiring where it enters the module. There are many reports of wires breaking inside the insulation just where the wire enters the module. The transition between the module and the flexible wire creates a stress point. A probe and a test meter is all you need to isolate the fault. Be sure to wiggle the wires around while you do your testing to check for any opens.

If you do find an open there is usually enough wire protruding from the module to make a repair. Make sure you support the harness where it exits the module.

John P

South Mississippi is a no go. He is out of the parts business, but does engine repair work.

Dick

Just to update the thread. Received new ignition module upgrade kit, had to get it imported from Canada (no one else has any). Will install and hopefully be back in service.

Dick B

Dick,

I'm curious if you found any open circuits in the wires where they enter the module or if the module was just dead internally.

John