Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: S7 Reference Speeds & RPMS

Default S7 Reference Speeds & RPMS

Anyone have good reference speeds/RPMs for the Kitfox S7 with a 912ULS. I am looking for a place to start regarding pattern, landing, takeoff, shortfield, and etc speeds/RPMs.

I am been unable to find these through searching and thought this forum would be the perfect place to ask.

Default Re: S7 Reference Speeds & RPMS

AK,

I really great reference is the "Kitfox Pilot's Guide" sold by John Mcbean as it provides the ballpark numbers per model and per commonly used engine.

There is always a question if one plane's numbers are different than anothers due to the variables including pitot static system installation and instruments, different propellors, different pitch settings of the same propellor.......some will affect indicated airspeed some will affect RPM.

However, I'll share with you what I dioscovered on my plane with the understanding another plane may not read the same at all.

I have the 912ULS also.....talked to the Prop manufacturer who knew what the high and low pitch settings would be for the prop on the 912ULS....I then set the pitch in the middle range.

I picked a conservative airspeed for the first flight based on the general information on the book values...Decided to use 80 MPH for the first flight....when the plane lifted off at 50 with a conservative pitch attitude, I decided 80 would be fine for the first climbout.

Took it to 3000' and did some power off no flap stalls to determine an approximate stall speed...the plane indicated 46MPH PO stall so did some quick math plus a little cushion and decided on 70 for a final approach.

Now what I learned in subsequent flights is this (all indicated airspeed):

No flaps, power off stall = 46 mph

1/2 flaps, power off stall = 42 mph

full flaps, power off = 41 mph

Best rate = 67 mph

Best Angle - 61 mph

Initial Prop middle of range setting prooved to be a lower pitch than I would want RPM was around 5400 +

Increased the pitch of the prop to cut the RPM back to the Rotax Minimum of 5200 @ Best Rate....this gives a decent cruise with my ground adjustable prop.

Maybe more details than you asked for but I believe the numbers a person share need to quakified to the conditions.
    Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp