Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox Model II (950) Engine options

Default Re: Kitfox Model II (950) Engine options

Mine has model III undercambered wings.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

If I couldn't find a nice 912 , I'd go with the HKS on Geowitz's and Mnflyer's
    positive experience.
    I have flown Steve's model 1 with the 912 and found it an excellent performer with two good sized guys in the seat and a good load of fuel on board. Having 1,200 plus hours behind just my own 912, not counting all the others I've flown, I can highly recommend the 912 with the HKS as a very good option based on the above mentioned members experience. It's nice to have two good choices to replace your KFM. I think you'd be happy with either.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

as for airfoil the model 2 and 3 are the same right?
    if my memory hasn't failed me,..the difference's ..model 3 had both wing tanks option where the model 2 had right wing and panel/dash tank,..or at least my 2 had right wing and panel/dash tank

If you haven't seen this yet, there is an HKS on Barnstormers.

HKS 700E, 1000 HOUR TBO • $6,000 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • 102 HOUR TT, 3.0 GEAR BOX, TYPE II EXHAUST, HKS 700 E, COMPLETE, LOW RIDER ENGINE MOUNT AVAILABLE. • Contact Daniel Kessinger, Owner - located Munfordville, KY USA • Telephone: 270-473-0690 • Posted September 17, 2013
    RobS

My opinion ...

Brand new the HKS is about 5k cheaper, but it always seems, as you mentioned, that the used HKS's and 912's are around the same price. It seems the HKS holds a larger percentage of it's value and there aren't as many available as "used" on the market.

If you're looking to get back in the air quick and you find a nice 912 I would probably go for it as getting a mount and accessories for a model 2 are relatively easy, but if a used HKS pops up it should suit you fine as well. Just be sure to learn about the lineage of HKS's and the early serial numbers.

The Rotax will definitely give you better overall performance in climb and speed, but with a slight weight and fuel burn penalty. If your mission is to just tool around you can get great economy out of the HKS with certainly acceptable climb and cruise for a model 2. In my opinion it would more mirror the performance of the KFM, but slightly better because of the prop options the HKS allows with the gearbox.

I personally think either will be an improvement over the KFM.

The one below deserves serious consideration, but confirm the gearbox ratio and that it fits your mission and the serial number is later. Lots of info on the net about the gearbox choices and how it affects prop selection.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-17-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post

912ul 134.2 lbs 79 hp burn rate in a model 2 is going higher then in a 4 because more drag on the 2 i'd guess 5 plus n hr
    Actually the fuel burn would be exactly the same regardless of the aircraft. Per my engine: Cruise power (5000 rpm) is ~3.5 GPH and full power (5500) would be ~4.0 GPH.

Your speed at that power setting may vary quite a bit, but the fuel burn would be the same.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

cool on that Larry,..the 5 I'm buying ,..I was told 4.8 gal per hour at 110 cruise,..I hope your 4.0 gal per hr is closer to true less fuel burn is always better

Quote Originally Posted by estepec View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. Currently have a KFM 112 and looking for a replacement. Seems my best choices are a HKS and a 912. I've seen the used market for both and the used prices are the same. If you had a choice between the two, both at the same price and to refit a model II, what would yours? Again, thank you for your responses.

If you can do 912 for same price as the HKS -- it is a hands down choice to go with 912.

reasons - more HP - more dealers/ support

Kitfox 2 is 950 lbs Gross weight.
    Kitfox 2 should be around 450 to 500 lbs max empty with a 912 add another 60 lbs so up to 560 or so......... Still leaves you 390 load .

Performance would be awesome - likely about 1500 to 1800 fpm climb
    cruise would be 95 to 110 -- VNE on KF 2 might be breached pretty easilly.

Good Luck

How about the 670 Rotax being put together by Rotax Rick ?

I have not tried Rotax Rick but I have heard some positive and negative.

I think that I would like to try one of his engines.