Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Position/Nav/Strobe LED Lights

Default Position/Nav/Strobe LED Lights

I am looking for some help with the install of wing tip lights. I have a pair of Aveo PowerBurst Position/Nav/Strobe LED lights to install. When installing should I have have them wired to a single switch or should I be be using 2 switches so I can run the position seperate from the nav? What type of switch should I use?

Thanks
    Pieter
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Default Re: Position/Nav/Strobe LED Lights

I just ran position and nav on the same switch since they all have to be on at the same times anyways. Really, they are all technically "position" lights(red, green, white). I put the strobe separately since I run it all the time. A regular 12 volt dc toggle switch is fine.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 09-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Pieter,

I have some recollection that there is a U. S. requirement to have the strobes switched separatey from the nav/position lights....but that was a while ago when I wired mine (separately) and things might be different...might be OK to check the current regs you operate under in BC/Canada.

We have the Aero flash which is similar to the units you have (everything in the same mounting)

As far as type of switch.....check to be sure the current capacity of the switch exceeds the draw of the unit. Some use toggle switches....I happen to have rocker switches.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    Last edited by Dave S; 09-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Funny enough, legally, I believe you MUST turn on your strobes when every you fly, day or night, unless you don't have them installed of course. Seamed like a strange rule to me.
    Roger

Use (or installation) of anti-collision lights is not required under day VFR for aircraft with special airworthiness certificates (experimental amateur built).

See: http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/...quirements.pdf
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Smile Re: Position/Nav/Strobe LED Lights

I have wired two aircraft with both on a single DTDP switch. This allows me to have strobes on without the nav lights(good on the old Whelen systems with the incandescent bulbs that like to burn out and are expensive to replace).
    Some would suggest the opposite if flying in clouds, the strobes can be distracting and you can set the switch so the middle position is nav and strobes come on in the up position.
    Lots of choices with just one switch .

Tom & all,

14CFR91.209 (US rules) gives pilots the operational perogative to turn off the anticollision lights if operating them is contrary to the interests of safety such as the distractions you mentioned. ....Other than that....it is pretty much like the old military saw.... "If you got 'em, light 'em up, if you don't got 'em, don't light 'em up"

91.209 Aircraft lights.

No person may:

(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Last edited by Dave S; 09-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Let's answer the question... Then we can get into whether or not you must turn them on.

Yes, you should have the position lights on a separate switch from the anti collision lights. Just ask yourself if you want to be in the plane next to yours waiting for take off with strobes flashing in your eyes. As a courtesy and for safety, you need a way to turn them off separately from position lights while in the vicinity of other aircraft on the ground.

What type of switch? The style is up to you be it rocker or toggle. For LED lights a 3 amp switch is probably OK. For incandescent lights or xenon strobes you'll need a 15 amp switch.

When to turn them on...
    In the USA if you have anti collision lights they should be on day or night with the exception of safety as mentioned. True you don't need to install them for day on a US experimental but if you do you should use them. (FAR 209b and AIM 4-3-23)

Transport Canada is similar to FAA but I don't see anything requiring strobes on in the day.
    Just another one of those gotchas between FAA and TC.

JP