Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: new lycoming YIO-233

Default new lycoming YIO-233

Can anyone tell me the real deal of the effects of rust building up inside the cylinder walls and engine of a new lycoming YIO-233.
    I recently received my new LYC. 233 and read the manual. It states in a short period of time (60 DAYS) even with preservation oil in it that rust will start forming inside the engine if the plane is not flying for a lease an hour an month.
    Or you have to do the preservation treatment all over again. The manual states the process of preservation.
    I should have the engine running by late winter this year and am a little concerned. You have to tip the engine sideways to get the preservation oil out but can not tip the engine if its installed in the kitfox. It will be 6 months before start up.
    Thanks in advance Tom

Default Re: new lycoming YIO-233

I'd line it up to ensure the valves are closed, plug the exhaust and install some desiccant plugs in place of the spark plugs, one per cylinder.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ehydrplugs.php
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Default Re: new lycoming YIO-233

It depends alot on the environment it is stored in. If it's in a reasonably dry place, I would not worry about it.