Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox tailwheel spring 3 leaf

Default Re: Kitfox tailwheel spring 3 leaf

I used POR15 extensively when I worked in the aftermarket 4x4 industry. I try not to use it, it's heavy and nasty. I usually just use a good Green Zinc Phosphate and some good paint.

Powdercoating is an awesome option too but it can be hard to find someone who can powdercoat well.

My new 3-leaf tailwheel spring was just powdercoated red, holding up so far.

I ended up using exactly that. "0spho" rust eater. It's phosphoric acid. I had a gallon that I bought years ago and it was still good. The por 15 looks good but I would of had to to order it and wait. I primed with "ospho" and painted with VHT black epoxy from Orileys. I hope it holds up. I looked at brake caliper paint. It has has ceramic in it. Might hold up better but it's hard to beat good old epoxy. We shall see. Thanks again for the replies.

If you have a local powder coating place likely get it done for $10 or so........

Since I went from the two spring to the 3 spring, the spacers that are on either side of the spring that run from the fuselage to the spring clamp plate are too short. I am fabricating new ones out of 1/4" tubing. I checked the build manual and there is nothing about how long the tubes are supposed to be. Since this is a retrofit, I am going to have to figure this out. Are the spacers supposed to be long enough to prevent the springs from being squished too tighly together? Anyone know how long the spacers are supposed to be? Makes sense that there should be some movement so the individual leaves can slide against each other when spring is flexed.

That is exactly the logic that I used to make new spacers when I went to a 3-leaf set. I don't remember the dimension, I measured the thickness of the spring pack and used that as a sleeve length.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade to a 1-1/2" wide rather than the 1-1/4" wide OEM spring.

(I just used rattle can black to keep the rust down.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos