Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: What engine for amphib floats?

Default What engine for amphib floats?

Guys I'm going to be looking for a KitFox that I plan on putting on floats. I think it is going to be difficult for me to find a used plane that is already setup as an amphibian so I want to investigate the option of buying a taildragger and converting it to floats.

There is a nice looking float plane on barnstormers but it has a Hirth on it and I really don't want to deal with a 2-stroke but what engine should I be looking for? Would a 100hp 912 be the way to go with it? I saw another one on there that is a taildragger and sold minus the firewall forward which seems like it could be a candidate for what I want to do. Or am I better off just waiting until what I am really looking for comes up for sale?

I'm a pretty meticulous guy mechanically and don't mine turning wrenches to install an engine and floats but I really don't have the time or money to build an aircraft from new.

On a side note I was talking to my instructor about owning a kitfox and he thinks it is a great idea.

Default Re: What engine for amphib floats?

I buy and sell experimental aircraft projects, I am on my 9th one now, and I have noticed that Kitfox's come up for sale all the time on the internet, but not Float Plane versions. I think owners of Float planes just don't want to sell them or something, you just don't see them much, and when you do, they are not cheap. If you want one, your probably going to have need to convert a standard tail drager to Floats. Note: I would only do this to a model-4-1200 or newer aircraft, so that you maintain a decent payload capacity, and even then, only use a 100 HP engine (or better).
    Hope this helps
    Roger

I have a kf111 on Pudljumper amphibs. Have 350 hrs on the Rotax 582 and other then carb adjustment have no problems
    google up Kitfox 111 amphib floats and watch a brief video. That takoff was with two aboard.

Don

If you use a 100hp 912uls you will need to feed it premium mogas. The 80hp 912ul is lower compression and can fly on regular unleaded without killer detonation if need be. Finding E-Free Premium at a marina or out in the boonies if you're schlepping gas in 5gal jugs is gonna be tough (I only have two E-Free Premium sources within 1/2hr of me here in upstate). The 80hp on a KF3, 4-1050 or even 4-1200 on Aerocet amphibs still provides good to excellent performance with a light airframe, empty weight is key. Also, just how much useful load you really want/need/are willing to accept for getting on the water. Hope you're not fat like me.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Rotec R2800 will be crazy look on float....?...more heavy..more power...more torque...more noise...

With three blade IVOPROP In-Flight Adjustable Medium Propeller *
    And 1320 or 1400 float ....

Thanks guys this info helps a lot.

I plan on using the plane on a lake in the adirondacks during the summer and bringing it back home for the rest of the year.

Actually e-free 91 octane fuel is readily available up there. The marina on the lake has it and all the gas stations up here do as well since that is what the snowmobilers like to burn. I'm not sure about back home. The airport I fly from now just has 100LL (KBGM) which as I've read the 912 will run on it but they don't recommend it. I assume it will foul plugs. I'll probably be flying out of KCZG if I'm ever able to find a plane. I don't know where I'll be getting fuel back home.

What would the useful load be on a KF IV 1200 with amphib floats be? It seems like it would still be pretty easy to overload the aircraft. I'm 6' tall and 210 lbs. It wouldn't be as much fun if I couldn't take anyone up with me. My dad flew a P210 for years before he lost his medical and it would absolutely kill him not to be able to go up.

dholly, where are you at in the fingerlakes? I would love to visit someone close to me to check out their rig and pick their brain. I have lots of questions.

I'm in Guilford, NY. Model 4 speedster project with 912 80hp. Cover/paint about done. working on FWF. If you want a tour of the project call 607-895-6168. My home is 40 miles northeast of Binghamton.

Greg- home field for my KF is D38 but I will need more space after my current project is complete so I've been testing out a nice grass strip at D67 for the past few months. Will you be at Sidney for the NEKFFI on Oct 5?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks I really appreciate the offer. I'll give you a call this week once I figure out my work schedule.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Sidney because I have a business trip that weekend I have to go on. I'm really bummed out about it because I am trying to find owners of these planes to meet and talk to. Yours sounds like it is the exact setup I am considering and I would love to have a look at it. Maybe I can drive up sometime or even fly if I can coordinate getting one of the planes.