Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: radiator mounting

Default radiator mounting

A KFIV tri gear radiator mount supported in part by the hoses didn't seem adequate, so I added a bent up 1/8 x 1/2 aluminum bracket to reduce the drag induced torque on the top end of the radiator.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: radiator mounting

Bill,
    I like your thinking especially when I see what would essentially be a pivot at the top mount, but your photo brings up some questions. What year vintage is your IV kit? And is the mount part of the kit? The reason I ask is because from the get go, the radiator was mounted to the floor board via through bolts with stand offs to hold it above (or below) the fabric). Based on a buddy who looks at my projects and recalling his most frequent comment about some of my convenience or aesthetics mods - one word, "heavy". It looks like your system might have added a pound to the radiator install as compared to the method used in the old days. Without a doubt, your mount is tons more sophisticated - no pun intended - but my memory recalls no issues whatsoever with the earlier mount in the twenty years I have been following the Model IV or earlier Kitfoxes.

Then one issue did come to mind, but it was a plus rather than a minus with the original mount. Some of the guys in the early days flying behind the two strokes would lengthen the standoffs during the summer to move the radiator further from the belly to increase airflow for improved cooling.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

It is a 2002 kit. The triangle looking tubular mount is only used on the nose gear version and helps support the nose gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Bill,

Still learning. It makes perfect sense.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel