Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Subaru EA81 Engines

Default Subaru EA81 Engines

Anyone hear of anybody putting a Subaru EA81 engine on a model 1 or 2. can it be done? Any info on that engine would be great. like where to get a motor mount or the reduction gear box to put the prop on.

Default Re: Subaru EA81 Engines

That engine is way to heavy for a Model I - II - III and a 4, do a search there has been many discussions about the engine.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

One way it might work is by doing what Avid did, extending the empanage 12-16". Basically a full redesign of the fuselage.

This would be a big, highly technical job full of unknowns.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Save yourself money, headaches, and performance. Had one on my kitfox IV and all the above were part of the equation. Some times more money for the right engine is worth it. Subaru and kitfox are not a match. I my opinion.

In 1994 I toured the old Skystar Kitfox factory. The guy showing me around showed me a Model 4...I think...with a Subaru engine. He said the airframe was just a ground test bed and it was a test never intended to fly, just determine if the engine was compatible with a kitfox...something like that anyhow.

Then a year later in 1995 I flew into Kamiah Idaho. There was an Avid flyer with a Subaru engine parked on the field. It looked like it was newly constructed and finished in polyspray, I think. The data plate had an Alaska address. I assumed it must have flown there from Alaska?

Anyone know anything about either of these airplanes?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

When you say EA-81, you need to narrow it down a bit more. That engine can be used as a direct drive, or a geared drive. The geared drive is heavier, but a better idea mechanically, for an airplane that can handle the weight.

I think if you find a good used EA-81 direct drive cheap ($1,500 bucks or so), and use a light weight wood prop, combined with shifting the accessories back closer to the firewall, you could have a "usable" model-4-1200 that would be cheap to build, fly and maintain. Really, it depends on what you intend to do with it and how you intend to fly it.

Keep in mind, Rotax 582's come up all the time on the internet (often cheap) and might meet your needs better (and weight like 100 lbs less). Plus, you have other example planes to draw info from.
    Hope this helps
    Roger