Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Book - "How to fly a kitfox"

Default Book - "How to fly a kitfox"

Hi Guys
    Apparently there used to be a book titled "How to fly a kitfox" or something similar. I've e mailed the guys at Kitfox aircraft but have not got a reply.
    Is there such a book still available? If not hard copy in PDF format?
    I can only find old references to it.
    I'm just finalising a deal for a Kitfox 3 with a 582 up front to be based at Enstone in the UK.
    If someone could point me towards a copy that would be great.
    Thanks
    Martin
    Tail wheel rated.

Default Re: Book - "How to fly a kitfox"

It is not available electronically because of copyright issues that came up. Your only hopes are that you can find one somewhere. I used to have one but already passed it along. It's not written so much on how to fly one it's more centered on the differences between a Kitfox and a big metal spam can (Cessna). It uses a Badminton birdy and a tennis ball to compare the two.

What is your prior flying experience? Compared to traditional tube and fabric airplanes things happen very quickly. Have you ever operated a two-stroke before? Don't let anyone fool you a 65hp Kitfox IS a high performance aircraft and needs to be treated as such or you'll quickly find yourself along for the ride. If you have no experience operating a two-stroke I highly recommend you find a two stroke mentor and learn the ins-and outs of operating/tuning/maintaining it. Not hard just different.
    Last edited by SS7Flyer; 08-27-2013 at 06:23 AM.

Kitfox still has the Kitfox Pilot's Guide and the Pilot's Operating Handbook listed on the parts manual. They are both very good books to have , they have alot of information. I own both and still refer to them a alot. Good luck on your purchase and become familiar with both the airplane and engine operation. 2 strokes can be a lot of fun to fly behind just require a little more attention to maintence.

Good morning,

I believe the "Kitfox Pilot's Guide" is the current revision of the text formerly known as "How to fly a kitfox".

In other words, if you get the current one, you will get everything included in "How to fly a kitfox" plus the updates under the new name "Kitfox Pilot's Guide".

The great thing about it is that the book covers all the kitfox models and makes comparisons among them as the aircraft features changed. It included information on commonly used engine alternatives and performance characteristics.

I found the book extraordinarily useful and very accurate...particularily about understanding a takeoff happens very quick in KF...and the plane glides forever, also very good information about the flight characteristics if you are preparing for your first flight.

The book accurately predicts how the aircraft behaves.

My book sits in the mapbox all the time...POH in the baggage bay.....checklists hanging off the panel....pretty much all you need for reference material when out flying.

Cheers

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp
    St Paul, MN

Guys
    Thanks for all your great replies.

Just for info my experience on types is
    J3 Cub
    very little Jodel
    PA38
    PA28 160 through to 235
    Socata TB10 & TB20
    Cessna 182
    Grass & Hard runways

I've heard all the negative things about the Kitfox and some of the positives. I like the idea of high performance aircraft so I'm looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that the factory will ship to the UK. I'm sure they will, or do they have a distributor over in Europe?

Martin

Smile Re: Book - "How to fly a kitfox"

Hello
    I am building a mk7 and are located at Horsham West Sussex
    I currently fly a Jodel 1050 and a J3 Cub.
    I can confirm that the current book obtainable via kitfox aircraft "kitfox pilots guide" is very good.
    If you want a chat PM me
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

The How to Fly a Kitfox, by Ed Downs -

Just for what it's worth, that book has zero application IF you have a heavy
    motored Kitfox (i.e. like an IO-240B). I have the book, and while interesting
    reading, my plane doesn't fly anything like the description in that book.

Probably for a light motored model 3 it's good though.

Regards,
    Jeff