Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox amphibian for first plane?

Default Kitfox amphibian for first plane?

Hi guys. I'm looking for some help or advice.

I'm currently working on my private pilot certificate. I'm 36 years old. My dad was a pilot who flew a P210 mostly on business that I have a lot of seat time in when I was young and now I'm training on a 172. If I could afford to fly the 172 more than a couple times a week I would have had the certificate by now.

My goal is to have an amphibian aircraft to fly for fun without breaking the bank. I was looking at a SeaRey for a while but now that I've looked into a KitFox I really think that would be a better option.

Is there anyone here that has a KitFox as a first aircraft?

What would the transition from a 172 to a KitFox be like?

Would I be better off learning to fly the KitFox without the floats?

What kind of operating expense per hour can be expected?

Is there anyone in the NY area that has one that wouldn't mind me having a look at it?

I really don't have the time to build one so I would be looking to buy a used one.

I apologize for the general questions. I know what my goal is and what I would like to do but I really don't know how to get there.

Default Re: Kitfox amphibian for first plane?

Greg , as far as seeing and probably getting a ride in a Kitfox, you are in luck, as there is a planned Kitfox flyin near Binghamton coming up in October. should be several Kitfoxes there to check out and I would be happy to let you try mine on for size and give you a ride. Search Kitfox flyin on this site for details.

Greg,
    I too started in a 172, then decided to go Sport Pilot and switched to a Technam 2008P, then bought my Kitfox. I found the main differences between the Kitfox and other planes is two things: Safety and Fun. Most, if not all of us here have our Kitfox as our "first" airplane whether some own, or have owned another airplane or not. Maybe it wasn't the first plane we owned, but it became our first (#1 choice) once we flew it. Go for it! You'll never look back.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

airlina, Thanks for the offer. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I found the post about the fly-in in Sydney which is right up the road from me. As luck would have it though I will be out of town on a business trip Oct 5-8.

Thanks for the input SkySteve. One of the main reasons I am considering a KitFox is lower cost of ownership compared to something like a Lake Amphibian or even a 172 on floats. I imagine a KitFox would have a much lighter feel than a 172 and that you probably have to move your feet a little more.

I plan on getting my tailwheel rating as soon as possible since there is a Citabria available at the airport.