Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Shock cords

Default Shock cords

Can anyone tell me how many wraps the shock cords should have on a model 4 speedster. I puchased one recently to hold me over until I finish my 5. It has 4 wraps on it now and is too loose on the taxi test I have done and i'm afraid to try to land it with that much loose motion in the gear. Thanks Eddie Trying to locate the build manual but have not as of yet.
    Last edited by kitfox5v; 08-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: Shock cords

My manual shows 6 wraps, but I've never confirmed this since I got the grove. Dave F has a pretty good video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    My manual shows 6 wraps, but I've never confirmed this since I got the grove. Dave F has a pretty good video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM
    Just counted -- under 3 minutes each side to wrap those bungees .

no fancy tools needed.

I have seen MANY give up on bungees - heck you outta try some real heavy bungees these Kitfox have are a breeze if you use your head.

and I read some that warn against safety cables...................

Well think about it -- If you are landing that frigging hard that you are gonna stretch your bungees a full 3 to 4 " to take up the slack in the cables you already hit with about 5 g's !!!
    Then you got enough inertia to further hit har enough that you bend the fuselage ? WOW that like a stall from fifty feet or more . What the heck.

GO read Matronics -in the last week or two the know it alls already got this covered LOL

Eddie, Geowitz is right six wraps, five loops on top six loops on bottom. I used the method Dave uses in his video holding with a hammer handle and it worked great when I replaced mine. Make sure you have a helper they are very strong near the final wraps. Good luck.

Thanks guys. that helps alot. Dave i agreeabout the safety cable. Hows it going Tim. still workin on buses? George, What about pictures of that baby boy? Thanks again Eddie