Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox iii on floats - empty weight

Default Re: Kitfox iii on floats - empty weight

Had a buddy that had the same exact setup as you have. The 582 of his might have been in need of a tune-up or something but he could not get it off the water. Actually if I remember correctly he had a hard time even getting it on the step. He promptly removed the floats and sold them on Barnstormers.
    I think a guy from SC bought them and then he also had them back up for sale shortly after. I haven't flown with the 582 on amphibs but as has been suggested, they may be a little heavy and one would be better with a little more HP.

Very interesting... I bought my floats in SC!!! It will be interesting to see how they do in the water. If you buddy has no objections, have him contact me, I'd like to know if they are the same floats.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Hmmm, I think the one's my friend had were red in color. I had looked at them for one of my planes and even though they were nice looking floats, I figured I would be a little under floated. I needed a set for a RANS S7. I have heard a lot of good things on the small Aerocets, with the only downside of them being they are heavy, particularly when a guy is using a lower horse powered plane. All you can do is try them and see if they work for you. Every plane is a little different and maybe he had the wrong pitch prop on. I just remember he tried his darndest to get it off the water to no avail.
    Found a set of Full Lotus amphibs so am going to put them on. Ugliest danged float out there but everyone I know that has used them likes their versatility. I do know of another set for sale but they are without rigging. They were on an ultralight and have the 3-wheel gear.
    Sadly, you won't be able to speak to my friend. He was killed last fall in a trike accident. Our local EAA Chapter was having a get together and he was giving rides when it happened. Very sad day....he was one of those guys that when you first meet him it was like you knew him your entire life.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 08-25-2013 at 10:24 AM.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

The floats I have are white, hopefully I can give a report next week.
    Matt

GO watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oydv9uBxt4

582 kitfox on aerocet
    582 Beaver on full lotus

That was AWESOME!!! Great performance!!

I am guessing my friend had something not quite right. Because the one in that video sure has no problem getting off the water. Are you floats amphibs? His were.

Dave,
    Great video, very inspiring. I noticed that you have two mirrors mounted, one on each float, inboard. Are you able to see the gear using those mirrors? I have really worried about verifying that the gear are up/down. It would be great if those mirrors would allow verification of gear up/down. Let me know if the mirrors work effectively,
    Thanks,
    Matt

Mirrors work excellent. Also every few years I will spray the inside of all 4 gear bright orange and it does help in low light conditions.
    This is why I like the cable style gear actuation on the Aerocets.
    You can feel if something is wrong and it you set up the over centre properly then it is trouble free.

Unless you beat them up on grass strips. The aerocets amphibs are ok but fragile. I have does many "stiffner mods" to make them hold up.

Hope this helps and enjoys the videos -- I got hundred more that I never published yet