Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: enclosed trailer

Default enclosed trailer

So here's what I've been doing with my summer vacation. My last date for logging time on the speedster project was 6-11-13. The plan was to put a couple weeks in and finish up the trailer to have weather tight storage and free up shop space.

The roof is .060 EPDM (rubber) over thin plywood and the upper side walls/door skins are prefinished .032 aluminum. Skeleton underneath is mostly 1X1 16ga tubing with some 2X2 16ga floor joists and corner posts. Floor is 1/2" treated plywood. I'm going to get it weighed soon and will post the empty weight later.

It pulls well behind my 1/2 ton pickup. It has the feel of pulling a small boat. The weight is there but not much drag resistance.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the results other than actual cost which went totally out of control.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: enclosed trailer

Very nice!!! I like it!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Please more photos of inside and out. You need to print out some plans for the rest of us to follow. Looks like a great idea.

Eddie,

I really don't have a set of plans, just a simple schematic type drawing with dimensions. I doubt anyone would consider duplicating this trailer because my cost of materials came in at the same as a completed factory built 24X8'6" designed for kitfox/avid/areotrek folding wing airplanes. Although I did achieve the empty weigh objective of one ton. The actual empty weight came in at 1980# measured at the Chenango county dump, NY. That's not bad considering the boat trailer was around 700# before adding anything for the enclosed box and doors. The factory built tandem 7000# gross trailer weighs 3540# empty. I would guess this may be worth about 1/2 of what I spent at the most and of course nothing for my time. So in 100 or so years the fuel savings will pay for itself.

Very nice. I would like to build one for my kitfox.