Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Heater core, what do you think?

Default Heater core, what do you think?

Has anyone use a oil cooler as the heater core? I am thinking about using the oil cooler, more mounting options, thinner , lighter.....I was going to mount it in the middle like everyone else that use johns system. I am going to lowes and buy a large vacuum adapters and use it for the ducting. I am going to mount 3 small fans, one on the bottom that can be switched on for defrost and the other two on the top which I will use ducting to direct the heat to the feet. I don't want the extra heat blowing under my radio stack. Any thoughts on my installation before I buy the parts?

Default Re: Heater core, what do you think?

I read this thread and the other one as well. The guy I helped finish his Series V wanted heater and defroster. We mounted the heater core with the inlets directly through the firewall. For the defroster, we made a fiberglass device that would capture a portion of the downward deflected air and direct it up to a vent in the glare shield. The photo is not great, but it gives the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

What size and type of blower fans did you use Highwing?
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

I don't recall. They were what he had from his original kit. One thing comes to mind, though, and I incorporated it into my heater on my Model IV. The fans were two speed with different + wires for the two speeds. With the rotary switch he had, we found that if the speeds were wired slow on the first detent then fast, often times the fan wouldn't start spinning when turned only to slow. If we went to fast then back to slow it worked fine. We ended up wiring the fast in the first detent, then slow on the second. This way, when turned to slow, it would pass the fast which would kick it enough that it would run on slow.

I also mounted mine so the inlet/outlet are forward facing. The Fittings are in the engine compartment. I sealed the through holes in the firewall with some half inch neoprene foam, from spruce that is mounted between the core and the firewall. I did have to make some special thin wrenches to capture the hexes on the core as I tightened the hose fittings, though. My fan is about 4.75"X4.75"

As an aside, someone once posted a caution about the hot coolant just over your feet inside. Since both of the ones I worked on went firewall forward, I didn't see it is an issue. I didn't realize the manual calls for 180° bends and the hot stuff was indeed in the cockpit.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

The heater core setup probably works fine but, last year while I was in a piece of equipment at work, a fitting on a heater core in the cab broke spraying me with hot antifreze.

When it happened I think I went into some kind of shock immediately from the steam in my face and the intense burning to my legs. I ended up jumping from the machine after about 3 seconds when I realized what was happening.

I'm guessing hot oil would cause the same reaction.

I would suggest to everyone who has this type of setup to have some kind of shield that if a hose or fitting broke the spray would be deflected as to not spray on you or a passenger.

The steam or oil would be difficult to handle but I think if you had a failure without being sprayed you wouldnt be tempted to jump.

This setup was in a skid steer.
    Last edited by birddog486; 08-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Just reread the question. In the day, the heater core was an oversized oil cooler. They were manufactured by Earls. They come in two widths as I recall and multiple lengths designated by the number or rows.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel