Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build time

Default Build time

With the quick build wings what is the average build time to first flight?

Default Re: Build time

I have the quick build wings and the pre fab part kit. I have been working on the plane for about a year. It should be ready to cover in the fall and then probably about 2 years to go roughly. I didnt work on it from Nov. to May due to moving and weather. I really only get one good day a week on it and maybe and hour here or there during the week. if you could work on it 20 hours a week I think you could get it done in a year if you were handy or 18 months if you were new at it.

I picked my kit ( including wing pre-build and pre-fab option), up at the factory Sept 10th 2012. As I send this I am installing the windshield and will then do weight and balance and request an inspection. I average 8 hr
    per day, 6 days a week. This includes a 912iS firewall forward kit.

Neville , that's the way it has to be done or the plane will never be completed . I pretty much finished mine the same way .
    oak harbor was the first place I flew to once I completed my 40 hrs . I spent three years up there in a vp outfit and learned to fly at the oak harbor airport
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The infamous question:

First one about 2 years, and 2000 hours. I was single.

Number 2 going on ten years with a lot to do. Family and kids.

2 years and 2400 hours for a first build.

Jim

Wow you guys rock, maybe I should retire and just build!

Thanks to all of you with your response on the build time. As I have pondered your comments and I would like to have this bird in the air in two years it appears with my situation I should order the quick build wings. I am still working and will be for a few more years, this activity of building and flying is my outlet from the day to day business. This is not my first plane project and I am always reminded when I read the term quick build, nothing about building a plane is quick. I love the journey and the process. Thanks again and look forward to gaining info from this group over the next couple of years during the build.

If I were building another Kitfox I would build the wings myself. Although the
    Quickbuild wings were nice, and were acceptably well built. There was some
    detail work which I would have done better, and I'm not sure in the grand
    scheme of things that they save more than a few weeks time ... Which in the
    build as a whole is not that much time.

I did end up cutting free at least one rib, and rebonding it as my trailing edge
    was 1/4" out of straight. This was done by the Old Skystar so maybe the QC
    is better now with John's company.

Jeff

Jim,
    After really thinking about your question (while covering my last wing), I'd buy the wings constructed from the factory if I had a time constraint, or if I was still working and had a young family at home.

Retirement, with ones offspring on their own, is an entirely different construction opportunity. Then I'd say build your own... if you have a young retirement age at the beginning. (I wish I had started this when I reoired at 55, but Bob had not yet bought his and got me interested in Kitfox construction!)

There are hundreds of hours of labor left to cover, and build, even with the wings quick build option... I'm now 64 years old... I'd like to think I can fly forever... reality says that is not a possibility, so that in itself is a reason to get the quick build wings, and you'll still spend 2 years on it to get her in the air.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL