Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Converting model 1 to model 2?

Default Converting model 1 to model 2?

I am interested in converting my model 1 fuselage (recently purchased) into a model 2. For the reasons of having the wider cabin and higher useful load. But am not sure specifically what changed and what was strengthened.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Converting model 1 to model 2?

Quote Originally Posted by fusionfab View Post
    I am interested in converting my model 1 fuselage (recently purchased) into a model 2. For the reasons of having the wider cabin and higher useful load. But am not sure specifically what changed and what was strengthened.
    Thanks in advance.
    Easiest is to to make the doors bow out at shoulder height. simple mod .

As far as increasing the Gross weight - I not sure if you can easily.

I planned on doing the bubble doors but because my fuselage is not covered right now I was looking at doing the modifications that were made on the model 2 and 3 for the more useful loads. I made contact with a gentleman who advised me of the specifics mods to the frame, wing spars struts etc. but am also wondering about the widening of the cabin. Not the roof or floor but the rear corner of the of the door by the shoulders.

It's hard to tell, which is why I'm seeking help, but when I look at pictures of the models 2 and 3 it appears that the rear corners of the door openings are wider than the roof whereas on the model 1 they are narrower so I'm wondering if that's all that was widened to gain the 39.5" wide cabin?

image.jpg

If I attached this correctly what I'm thinking is if I widen the tube across the back of the seat out wider 2.5" on each side then I'd onlyl need to change the tubes with the painters tape on them. I think it would be the same as newer models?

I think there was a thread on this site not to long back about widening the fuselage. One method was to add a tube on the bottom of the door opening that angeled out away from the fuselage as it went back. The tubing followed the door opening from the front bottom of the door to the top back of the door with the last tubing that goes from where your shoulder would be to the top of the door opening again angeling back in to the original tubing. The fabric wraps around the outer tubing and the fuselage ends up wider where you need it. The door would have to be tweeked to fit the new opening but that shouldn't be all that difficult. I'm going to do that with my Avid MK IV and it will take about 7' of tubing for each side. That will give me a 3" wider cockpit at the shoulders with just a bit over 2 lbs of tubing added. Hope you understood how I tried to explain it. Jim Chuk

Thanks avidflyer I understand what your explaining. That idea I do have in consideration for acquiring the additional room, however was looking into removing and replacing the current door opening to match the specs as the model 2's and 3's. specifically the rear cross tube that the top of the seat mounts to. Then being able to install the newer model/wider seat. But if I'm not able to then I will be definitely heading into the same direction as you are.

Again, thanks for the info AVIDflyer

Murle Williams offers a wide body kit that would save you a whole lot of trouble for $250. It requires some tweeking with the doors.

http://www.murlewilliamsaviation.com/

Murle was actually the gentleman I spoke to regarding the modifactions to do for converting my model 1 to the 2 or 3 and gaining the additional useful load.