Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Strut Damage

Unhappy Strut Damage

Hi All,
    When I put my struts away everything was perfect, but now as I'm taking them out I find the threaded rod where the bearing is connected is bent at a 90. Can I replace the end and if so how are they attached. I hope I now don't have some scrap metal. Thanks for your help, Trevor.

Default Re: Strut Damage

Trevor,

If I understand the issue correctly, should be a piece of cake...The rod ends are screwed into the end of the strut which is threaded to match....there should be a lock nut against the end of the strut unless it was not threaded onto the rod end in the first place....just back off the lock nut and unscrew the damaged rod end. You can get a new rod end.

Check the wing section of your construction manual for details.

Only problem I can think of is if the rod end was not screwed in more than a couple threads where the forces which bent the threaded part could have pulled some of the threads in the end of the strut.A careful inspection should resolve that.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

St Paul, MN

Default Re: Strut Damage

Sounds like the actual welded on threaded section is bent. Basically you need to cut, drill out and weld a new threaded section in. Should not be a big deal. Just make sure you get good weld penetration and it will be just like factory.

If you can get a picture that would be great.

Thumbs up Re: Strut Damage

Thanks for the help guys, I will follow your instructions. Trevor.