Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

Default Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

Does anyone know how to distinguish between the old non-alcohol resistant tanks and the new alcohol resistant tanks for mogas? Is there something that easily tells them apart?

I'm looking for the never type of alchol resistant tanks since I don't really rely on sloshing my current tanks.

Default Re: Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

I bought the alcohol resistant tanks. The color of the resin used to make them was a slightly bluish green color. The originals were a tan/red sort of color. Also, the new tanks have serial numbers written on them, my originals did not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mr bill; 08-13-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add pictures

Thanks,
    I assume that the tanks on the picture are the new ones?

The transparent look the tanks on the picture has looks different from my old tanks from 1991-92 which, as I recall, are greyish. I'll check mine again when I'm back home.

Can you let me know where to look fo the serial number?

Ulf

The first picture is of the original tank and the second is of the new tank. the color is hard to see on the second picture because the LLE had already been installed. The serial number is printed in white on the inboard end of the tank.

The tanks that come with the Kit now are alc. resistant aren't they? Mine are the reddy brown colour. I just assumed that alc resistant was all they shipped now.

if you have a 91-92 kit and the tanks haven't been changed they are definitely the old style tanks and not alcohol resistant . mine is a 92 kit and had the old tanks , they were the small tanks but gray like they had been painted . like was mentioned , no serial number . I think there were some pictures of both the old and new tanks in one of my albums . if there is a serial number , it will be scribed on the inboard end of the tank .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I recall John McBean telling me that all tanks shipped since either 2007 or 2010 (can't remember which--suffering CRS) are alcohol resistant.

Thumbs up Re: Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

Many thanks all,
    I know I have the old type since the plane is from 1991/92 but want to know what to look for if buying tanks posted on e.g. Barnstormers. I don't want to end up getting the wrong tanks. I assume that most second hand tanks for sale would be of the old non-alcohol resistant type.

Ulf

What about someone making tanks out of METAL? This would eliminate any of the problems with whatever fuel is available and might become available in the future (such as biofuel, etc.).

Skot, the metal tank issue was tackled way back by Avid Flyer. They failed due to the wing flexing, causing cracks in the tanks. Followed by the inevitable leaks.

The modern Kitfox wing is still a very similar to this design to the original Avid wing. This wing design still flexes. A lot.

In order to make a metal tank work, it would need to float in the skeleton of the wing, between the ribs and spar tubes. In order to do this there would need to be drag/anti-drag braces going through the same bay as the tank. This would mean fuel tanks similar to the Piper design with tubes going through them to accommodate these braces.

Possible, yes. Complex, definitely. Practical, well...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos