Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

Default Re: Alcohol resistant fiberglass wing tanks for Kitfox IV

Back when I started flying at a young age it was beat into our heads by instructors to use the correct fuel. And that Avgas was the best you could get in terms of purity. My dad had a Piper Clipper that had a auto gas STC, but he never put anything but Avgas in the tanks. I guess it's just my upbringing. But then again auto gas was lacking the ethanol we have now. I called a hose and fitting vendor for work this week and asked what hose they had that was gas/ethanol proof and they could not supply me with any products.

And yes, I did run a little avgas in my car as a kid. Due to a Cessna AD, it was free for the taking at the FBO I worked for. I broke a piston in my Hot Rod Olds. But it sure did run great for a while.

I used hi test auto gas in my model 2 for 3 yearsand added sea foam (582 2 stroke) never had a problem, although i have only had my model 5 a short time, the location the plane was at had on field mogas, the owner insured me that 100LL had never touched the tanks, here at home there is a fuel station that sells non alcohol hi test this is what im using now, since i have owned the 5 , no fuel issues to date, i did drain my port tank completely and took a cotton ball on a stick and whiped the inside of the tank through the fill port checking for jell or any other sign of deteriation of the interior of the tank, i didnt find anything, i do periodically do the alcohol test on fuel from the vendor just to keep the warm n fuzzy feeling knowing it is alcohol free
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

We run Mo in the Cherokee and buy our fuel form Shell as it is the only ethanol free source. We still check it for ethanol every time though.

We always pump a few litres into my trucks tank to make sure that the pump and hose is clear of ethanol containing fuel. Then we do the test tube thing. Dave has a video where he has found ethanol in supposedly ethanol free gas.

Just for fun I Googled "ethanol free gas Indiana" and found a couple airports near me have good gas. Now if they will let me fill a couple gas cans remains to be seen. I don't know why they wouldn't if I showed up with my a/c registration. When I pumped avgas as a kid, it was a big no-no to sell "can gas" as it had no road tax tacked on.

I have always run ethanol free MoGas in my mid 90's vintage Model 4 and have had no issues. I ran 100LL to and from OSH this year when I would stop for fuel and it's amazing how fast the lead deposits build up on spark plugs.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page