Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: sitting 912 uls engine

Cool sitting 912 uls engine

I am ready to mount the engine on my series 6 and finally took the motor out of the crate. I purchased this kit from a gentle man in California (nice calm warm weather) anyways this is a 2001 kit and motor its been crated up brand new since then. I started reading the install manual and it mentioned to turn the prop shaft 2 complete times every 3 months. I tried to turn the shaft and I did get it to turn but am concerned about everything else, seals, diaphram in the carbs. etc... I spoke to a rotax mech. today and he said as long as the factory plugs were in it he wouldn't be to worried about it. And that I should go over the service bulletins and If i wanted he would come up and assisted on first engine start. What is everyones thoughts!!!

A $19,000 paper weight is pretty expensive

Thanks Patrick
    series 6 builder

Default Re: sitting 912 uls engine

You might take him up on his offer to help. Always nice to have experienced Rotax mech. right there and to make sure the oil system is purged/primed correctly before first start up.
    Odds are high that it will start up just fine. Then your Rotax mech. can sync the carbs right away for you. Very good luck to you. Glad you're getting close now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Be sure to check your serial number against the Rotax ADs. Our group bought several 912s in that same vintage and there have been a number of ADs that have occurred since that time frame.

There could be some pending expenses waiting in the wings (no pun intended).

my 912 had set unstarted from 93 until 2010 when I started it for the first time . when I acquired the kit the engine was mounted on the airframe but nothing was hooked up . I was amazed at how easy it started once the plane was completed .
    I do keep the carbs balanced with lowells gizmo which makes it a snap . been running good ever since it first came to life and has almost 600 hrs . but yes , check the notes and bulletins . mine is a 600 hr engine and ill accomplish what's required to extend the hours come winter . also I plan on replacing hoses .
    the worst problem I had with the engine was actually before I first started it . I had a static oil leak from around the oil pump cover but for siting so long I feel lucky that was my only problem
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

thanks for the extra confidence!