Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Non-Profit, On-Demand Charter...

Default Non-Profit, On-Demand Charter...

Everyone Concerned,
    I know this is not Kitfox Specific, but there are people on here (FAA Foks, EAA Folks, etc.) that are much smarter than me (likely most of you), perhaps already doing this, and I need some direction. I've mentioned this to a few of you privately, but need more input...so, here goes...

I'd like to start a Non-Profit Charter Service in 2 years with the idea of providing low cost, door-to-door flights for Pastors, Missionaries, Evangelists, and Plain Old Church Folks at the operating cost of the airplane. Can anyone point me to the FAR that may handle this operation? I'm planning on these planes (Cessna TU206 for in-state, PA31 Chieftain for cross-country flights) and will be the only pilot starting this operation. However, I need more information regarding rules and regs. Again, It's not "for hire" and the folks I'd be flying would not pay ME a dime...just taking care of the hourly cost of aircraft operations.

Feel free to reply here or via PM. Email at holadaycp@yahoo.com if you'd like...

Thank you...Chris
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Default Re: Non-Profit, On-Demand Charter...

If the church is paying all the expenses then run it as a corporate flight department.

Incorporate
    Operate under FAR Part 91
    Aircraft are leased or owned by the corporation
    Have Truth in Leasing agreements in place per FAR.
    Pilots can be paid but must have at least a commercial license and valid 2nd class medical.

John,
    First off, thank you for the reply.

As a 501C(3) operation, would your recommendation still be an appropriate path? If it were formed under an LLC would any FARs dictate that I must operate under Part 135 rules for Ops &/or Maintenance?

As far as ratings...ATP, CFII, MEII and hopefully my A&P (fingers crossed on that one.)
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

not knowing much about this topic other then LLC will cover your butt incase anything goes wrong..always better safe then sorry,..I would think any aircraft, car, truck etc tool what ever,..that is listed under ownership of the LLC would be covered

Run the operation as a corporate flight department. You can fly anywhere in the world without a 135 certificate. Pure part 91 operation. Just make sure the paper trail shows the department as being part of the church or corporation.

If that doesn't fly with the church you can run it as an aircraft management company. The church leases or owns the aircraft. You handle scheduling, maintenance, pilots, mechanics, and training for a fee. Again, it is a part 91 operation.

The aircraft lease can be aircraft you own, or someone else owns. It can be a per hour lease or a yearly lease.

Good news. Being a part 91 op you don't need any 6 month checkrides if you are not flying jets or large aircraft. No duty time restrictions. And, no TSA screening for the passengers.

Non-profit or for profit status doesn't matter.