Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing on the beach

Default Landing on the beach

hi guys, thought you might like this video.
    http://youtu.be/9gFVtYe7Tdg

Default Re: landing on the beach

Cool!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Jamesmil,
    Very nice. Looks like there is water, water everywhere! Good landing.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Jamesmil, Seriously....You need to stop having so much fun with your airplane...might cause jealousy in others and force them to go buy their own! Great job, looks like a nice place to stop for a swim! Thanks for posting this!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Where was this? I'm planning a trip near wilmington NC and it looks like the OP is from there. Last I heard NC and SC are not too fond of aircraft on beaches unless you have a mechanical problem. In fact I believe a fellow Kitfoxer was arrested some time ago near Tybee in GA

I've always wanted to land on the beach and do my second favorite thing. Surf Casting

hi rmendler, if you have a charlotte sectional it will show the island that I land and go fishing on.it is located between Carolina beach to the south and Wrightsville beach to the north. the is land is about 10 ml. long, also if you look due west you will see my home base of pilots ridge, 03nc. we have a 3000' paved runway 09/27 we use 122.8, if you want to talk to Wilmington approach call them up on 118.25.
    send me a pm if you would like to stop in would love to meet you. the island is state owned and is uninhabited but will have people fishing and camping. being a beach the landing area's change with every tide and sometime with people and available landing area I will not land if I feel I can not touch down and go around without a large safety margin. after landing most people will just walk on by the plane without a second look while others will stop and take pic,s.

if I remember right a few years back a guy had an engine out in SC and loss of oil,..which made it difficult to see due to oil on his windshield ,..when he landed ,..he hit two beach walkers/runners from behind that had headset radios on walkmans ...and one did not survive,..

but now an island ,,chances are beach walkers/runners are not going to swim a channel to run an island beach
    awesome landing there Jim for an ole guy

Just curious Jim,..are you practicing beach landings for the flight to factory fly in ? because right now a good portion of Missouri is flooded with more rain coming large sections of I44 were shut down,..near me Mile marker 172 to 186 was closed for a day plus,..route 63 south of Jefferson city was closed,..gasconade river passed the 30' mark,..Waynesville ..near fort wood route 17 closed ,..governor declare state of emergency for Waynesville,
    hope all this bad weather has passed by the time your flying west

I have been looking at that skypirate, hope it will be cleared up and back to normal by the time I leave to go out west. and yes that island is only accessible by boat or aircraft. if you go there by boat you have to go on a mid high tide and if you stay till the mid falling tide you will have to wait till the next mid high tide to leave so you have to plan ahead to go there.
    also I see I have posted to the wrong place on the forum sorry will do better next time.

Good video. I flew with Jimmy last summer and we landed on this same stretch of beach. I took some pictures but no video. My wife was so impressed with the pictures that she posted some of them on her facebook page. She got a ton of comments. Makes me want to swap my 6.50 tires for some 8.50's. I was down at Oak Island last week Jimmy but stayed busy with family and didn't get a chance to get up with ya. It was a little stormy too. James Thomas