Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firewall/starter

Default firewall/starter

I have a KF4 and the Rotax 912 ULS starter (heavy duty) is interfering with the firewall. Have others run into this and what is the solution? Do I have to go back to a standard starter or put a big dent (figuratively speaking) in the firewall?

Default Re: firewall/starter

The instructions for model 4 kits actually officially addressed this issue by cutting out the interfering section and riveting in a box to go around it. Sorry don't have a picture, but could get back to you with better instructions if no one else has them.

Been thru the manuals several times and can find no reference to the problem.

I had the same issue when I put the uls in my model 4. I had the ul engine. what I did was. Oh ya it was like 5 degrees out when I hung my motor, so I was lets say in a hurry. I got out a big bar and a hammer and made it fit. Unless I told somebody, nobody would know it. Oh and it fly's great, and hasn't fallen out of the sky either.

Mr Bill - PM sent

I had the same problem. My instructions included a "cutout" in the foot well of the firewall on the right side for the starter. I also cut off the long protrusions on the starter itself. But, the first time I tried to hang my engine the starter interfered with the firewall. I drilled out the rivets for the cutout and made a larger one and trimmed the firewall to fit the larger cutout. It is still a close fit as I did not want the cutout to be so large as to interfere with the toes of the co-pilots left foot.

I had a starter problem and had to remove the engine to get to the starter. My mechanic made a firewall access panel in the passenger side behind the starter. it is just dandy. I removed and replaced the starter in two hours last year to replace an o ring. (yup, rebuilt the starter while it was out.) can get you pix.

"Can get you pix."

Wheels, would you please post the picture(s) in this thread. I will be needing options like this in a couple months. Your solution is very interesting to me!

Thank you!
    Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

to save a little fabrication time and weight,..I wonder if a 3/4 or 1 ton center cap, used on dual wheel trucks,..it's about 4.5" across,..some are made of aluminum,..depth is about 5 inches,..but that could be adjusted,..that would do 2 things,..no sharp corners inside because its round,.and there would be only 1 seal to make ,..where ,,after modifications ,.. it would fit up to firewall,..and a hole saw could be used to make the hole in firewall,..a clean round hole

just a thought

P,S, some are chrome ..so it would make it faster too? lol

Chase

It is done. Cut a hole in the firewall, using a Dremel cutting wheel. It went thru the stainless steel easily, then bent up and riveted a stainless bracket to the firewall. Thanks to Geowitz's help.
    Attached Images Attached Images