Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912A CDI Replacement

Default 912A CDI Replacement

I asked this question on the ROTAX Owners forum also... still waiting for a reply, so I thought I'd ask here...

On an older style 912A, with the 1 + 4 pin trigger coil plug, does it matter which pickup cable set connects to either CDI module? While testing CDIs, I switched the plugs.... now I can't tell how it was installed originally. The plugs and wire colors are identical.

The wiring diagram in the ROTAX 912/914 Heavy Maintenance Manual (Fig 74-18) indicates a blue and red color code on the connector.... but they seem to be identical.

Also in the ROTAX manual, in section "3.5) Electronic module, triger coil kit", the following caution is highlighted...

"In the 914 Series, the ignition points for circuit A and B differ from that on a ROTAX 912! In the event of failure of an ignition module on the 914........."

There is no mention of the 912 in the above caution.

Thanks for the help.
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Default Re: 912A CDI Replacement

This is a good question for the Lockwood tech support line.

Best of luck,

Mark
    Building a KF IV Classic

I sent the question to Rotec (Canadian ROTAX distributor). I expect a reply soon.... I'll let the group know.

Cheers,
    Ackselle
    Ackselle

Here's the answer I received from The guys at Rotec....

On a 4-pin connection for the trigger coils each of the two plug connectors are color coded with red and blue bands and green and black bands (black being blank no band at all ). Originally the correct way to hook these up would be have the red and blue going to the "A" module (top module) and the green and black to the "B" module (bottom module). It will not affect the engine if the are in the opposite position however it is preferred that they be installed as mentioned above.
    Ackselle