Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Larger Header Tank

Default Larger Header Tank

My plane has the two 6 gal wing tanks. I have considered replacing them with larger tanks but haven't wanted to create the mess to change them. However I would really like to be able to carry more fuel so I don't have to constantly look for stopping places to refuel.

Then it hit me. Why not just I crease the size of the header tank? Is there a need/reason for the 1 gal header tank? Why couldn't it be a 4 or 5 gal header tank? So help me here. I'm starting to think about winter projects and annual improvements for my plane.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Larger Header Tank

Steve,
    I have a friend - Model IV owner - who helped another guy build a Rans S-7. They carry less fuel than the typical later model Kitfoxs

Your solution was their solution to the fuel capacity. They built a larger header tank to address that issue. I would think that the only thing you might need to consider is the outlet location. You wouldn't want to be in a flight attitude with your last few gallons and find out that the tank was unported. I thought of this because the Rans tank was a long aluminum rectangular box that extended aft. I don't know how they solved it.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

http://www.ransclan.com/forums/showt...ush-S-7S/page5 scroll down about half way here is a header tank that holds about 3+ gal.wildwild west's newest highlander has a 12? gal header tank, its shaped like a rectangle with the bottom tapering up pretty substantially towards the rear so that the fuel is always flowing to the front regardless of flight attitude. sorry couldn't find a pic anywhere. just remember your w/b
    Last edited by High Country; 08-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Lowell,
    I think I would install the bottom of a larger header no lower than the bottom of the current header to insure the same fall in the fuel system. My current system has an air return line and a fuel line between each wing tank and the header. I would install the new header in the same method. I would probably also install a better fuel flow monitor than I now have and probably also a low fuel warning system as it would be hard to know how much fuel was in a larger header once the wing tanks drained.

High Country,
    Thanks for the info and the link. It looks promising.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos