Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Nose gear axel

Default Nose gear axel

Anyone have any suggestions for how to fit the nose gear axel into nose wheel and nose wheel bearings ? By my measurements there is only about 2/1000 difference between the outside diameter of the axel and inside diameter of the bearings.

Default Re: Nose gear axel

Freeze the axle

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for how to fit the nose gear axel into nose wheel and nose wheel bearings ? By my measurements there is only about 2/1000 difference between the outside diameter of the axel and inside diameter of the bearings.

2 thou is alot to go unless you got liquid Nitrogen on hand.
    dry ice might do it -
    I would put in lathe and polish it down a bit

.002 is a lot of preload on the inner race of a bearing. As little as .0002 will be adequate for a sweat fit. Being that the bearings are held in place with spacers, a sliding fit (.001/.002 clearance) of the bearings on the axel would be more appropriate. You will need a lathe to remove that much material.

When I mounted my nose wheel I recall the axel sliding right into the the bearings. There was no play but it slid right in. Knowing some of the stuff I drag my gear through, I also made sure there was a thin coating of grease on the axel, bearings bores and spacers. I may want to get the thing apart some day for repairs of some sort or a tire change.

I am estimating that the 2/1000" interference fit you are seeing is simply a confluence of circumstances regarding the manufacturing variation a person might see on the components. I'd go for a snug, but not an interference fit by working the axel down.
    Cracking the bearing inner race or damaging the bearing is not beyond possibilities if forcing a significant interference fit on a small bearing like this.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN
    Last edited by Dave S; 07-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.

I have needed to pull my nose axel twice in the last few months and will again next week (wheel pant issues). It is a tight fit but fairly easily tapped out.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive