Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pedals

Default Brake pedals

I have a Kitfox Model I from 1988. My flight instructor and I took it up for the first time on Sunday and while it flew pretty good I can't get on the brakes quick for the life of me. The toe brakes are just too close to the rudder bars and I can't really tell which one my toe is pushing. I have done most of my flying in a 182 and am used to the heels on the floor technique but I don't have the room for that in my tiny cockpit.

Is there a technique or modification that can make these brakes easier to use? I don't know if they changed the brakes in later models but mine has a small metal bar for the rudder with a smaller bar for the brakes less than two inches above that.
    Last edited by Roddy; 07-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Default Re: Brake pedals

Roddy,
    My A&P did some modifications to my model I brake peddles to make it easier, and those changes made it much easier. I'll try to take some photos for you later today.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Absent any pedal modifications, try flying in stocking feet or thin slippers.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Pictures would be great Steve. Were the modifications difficult?

Dholly I'm wearing worn in running shoes right now. I might look for something thinner.

It took a while for me to be able to tell where my feet are and when they are on the brakes and not too far up or I catch the toe of my shoe on the fuselage tubing and can't tell it from the brake.

I try not to need to use brakes for a short landing and try not to use them at all except for the run up. My kitfox is bare bones so the mnemonic for my landing checklist is FFFF.

Fuel showing in the nose tank
    Flaps- a little for wheel landing none for 3 point
    Fifty miles per hour on final
    Feet off the brakes
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Roddy, I have the same problem. After putting 600 hours in my Model 3, I wish it was easier. Being 68 years old and having learned a few things in life, every time I think of something to change around the house or on my plane I take a nap and forget it ;-).

That being said, TJ, my check list is simple:

Takeoff Checklist.

Takeoff

Landing Checklist.

Land

Of course my wife says I'm a smart ass.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Thanks for the advice. My first Kitfox rollout was a bit awkward. Taxiing from the tie down line I did almost a 180 instead of a 90 turn onto the taxiway. Then at the next intersection I almost rolled into the ditch. I was having trouble getting it back onto the taxiway but then suddenly I got really good control and the plane straightened right out. I looked out the turtle deck and saw my mechanic had moved the tail for me.

I guess I will keep practicing. I'm mainly worried about hitting one brake on landing by accident and ground looping. My instructor thinks I should do a few more hours in his Bushmaster because he figures the Kitfox's narrow gear may make it more difficult to master. The Bushmaster has no pedal brakes only a hand brake so ground maneuvering skills don't carry over 100%.

Where are you flying out of Roddy?

I'm training at Westlock right now. I would prefer somewhere closer but Dan at Snowbird Aviation serviced my plane and has the only tail wheel training around.

Wow, that's a hike. Villeneuve has Citabria training but I get why you would want to use your guy. When you are all checked out you'll have to take me for a ride some time haha.