Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: wing twist

Default wing twist

In the orocess of rebuilfing a model 1 with model 2 wings. Wirh rhe wings fokded back I noticed that there is a 2 inch height difference at the trailing edge of the right wing to the left. The flaperons follow the same when butted up againt each other starting from the 2nd rib inboard to the wing tip. Will adjusting the rod end on the rigt wing fix this? The right wing strut rear artach point has the only adjustment

Default Re: wing twist

Wing tips uneven when folded is not too uncommon. I would check the rigging with wings spread and test fly. If it flys good I wouldn't worry about the uneven tips when folded. In fact mine are about 2 inches different when folded too, but flys straight and level hands off.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Do you have any problems with the flaperons clearing the turtleback camlocs. I do on yhe right side which is the low side. I actually have to disconnect the first two rib attach point to push the flaperon up to clear. With wings folded back the right flaperon actually rest on the cross tube behind the seat. The left sits off the tube approx 1"

Someone familiar with the models 1 and 3 will need to chime in. Mine is a Classic 4 and no problems with clearance when folding wings.

I'm thinking maybe some difference in the wing struts between the 1 and 3. Which struts do you have?

Uneven tips when folded is most often attributed to some weld warp in the fuselage, fuselage a little out of square, or a little difference in placement between left and right bottom strut attach fittings on the fuselage.

With only the one adjustable strut on the right wing it needs to be rigged to match the twist of the left wing. You may be able to fix the wing folding problem by adjusting the rod end but induce an out of rig wing that flys heavy on that side.

I shouldn't say too much here being as I don't know much about any kitfox except the model 4.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder