Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Painting airplane with house paint

Default Painting airplane with house paint

I have heard of painting a fabric covered plane with house paint
    Just bought a Kitfox that needs painting and did not know to use latex or oil base house paint. I think it is ureothane now, but they sprayed it thin and the old color bleeds through all over.
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Painting airplane with house paint

House paint it meant for for houses. You will get cracks and flakes and an overall poor finish. If you want to do it right you need to shell out some bucks.

I have definitely heard of the world war I replica guys using Latex Paint from Home depot to pain their fabric airplanes. Makes it much easier for paint color variety and supposedly pretty good UV protection and flexibility.

http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/latex.html

Thanks!! Geowitz that website answered alot of my questions.

I think the guy that designed the eagle uses house paint and suggests builders do the same because not only price but it covers better so lighter

Hmm, that is interesting. The finishes I have seen have been crap. But then again it probably all depends on the prep work.

A pint of Kelly Moore latex thinned with a little water and Floetrol and sprayed out of a $20 harbor freight spray gun over the top of Aerothane works great. It's cheap, light, flexible, and contains UV protectant built in. My experience was only meant as a temporary solution on the fuse. Several years later and nobody knows it's latex housepaint except me and you can't tell the difference between it and the $2500 worth of coatings I shelled out for Randolph coatings on the wings and tail feathers.